EastMT

WKR
8256cf221f8aacc8819a0f88d8670de4.jpg

I carry a fine one of these, lightest I’ve found, weight almost nothing

OP
U

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
I’m leaning towards a diamond or a worksharp pocket sharpener. They seem to be the right combo of weight and effectiveness. I’ve never been able to get a sharp edge with the pull thru sharpeners. Which is probably just a reflection of my abilities.

thanks everyone!

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
since I got my Falkniven F1 about 8 years back, no longer need to carry a sharpener. This knife has no problem field dressing a bear or couple deer or an elk without needing sharpening. Convex profile really holds an edge.

Haven't done a moose yet.

Maverick1

WKR
This is the same one I carry. May not be the "best" - but it works well enough for my needs. Coarse and fine blade, I just make sure my knife is a double bevel and call it good. KISS.

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
I also use the DMT double sided diafold. I have the course/fine and extra fine/extra extra fine. They weigh almost nothing and you can get your knives back to scary sharp pretty quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

easilyamused

Lil-Rokslider
I recently changed to just having a 4” length of ceramic rod from an old sharpener and I have found it works great for just touching up an edge quickly and is about as light as compact as any option out there

I got this one included with a cheap fillet knife, but it looks like they sell for $2-3. Weighs less than one ounce.

None.
I always carry two fixed blades. In case I cut too much hair or dirt, I instantly have a backup. In all my years, I've only needed to go that route a couple of times. As triple insurance, I carry a Gripilian as my EDC. It's always sharp and ready.

None.
I always carry two fixed blades. In case I cut too much hair or dirt, I instantly have a backup. In all my years, I've only needed to go that route a couple of times. As triple insurance, I carry a Gripilian as my EDC. It's always sharp and ready.
This I carry a fixed blade, a larger folder, and I always have a bugout in my back pocket.

OP
U

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the work sharp pocket sharpener and used it to sharpen my kitchen knives. Here are my thoughts:

Pros: Incredibly easy to use. The angle sharpeners are simple and effective. It is small so it’s best suited for touching up a couple knives. The sharpener can both touch up damaged knives and put a good edge on them using the ceramic. It’s exceptionally light weight as it’s under 2 oz

Cons: Using it for more than a couple knives can be tiresome for the supporting hand. If your looking to restore a razors edge the ceramic isn’t fine enough to do so.

So it seems like it’ll be great to carry in your kill kit, unless you require an edge you can shave with.

I use a combo diamond plate by Smith’s for touch ups in the field. Very rarely have to use it as I’ll carry a kill knife and a pocket knife. Between successful hunts I’ll use the the Work Sharp Ken Onion Sharpener and a leather strop to keep it sharp.

coiloil37

Lil-Rokslider
Back in the day when I used production knives I would carry two or three instead of a sharpener. Now I use customs that will go through multiple animals (gut/skin/debone) without needing a touch up. When I do sharpen them it’s always on a 8” dmt then a loaded strop.

Instead of a sharpener just buy a good knife.