Knife Sharpening Burr (Work Sharp Ken Onion)

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Is their am angled ramp piece that helps you get the right angle? I'm nervous to try one of those types of sharpeners but I desperately need a good one. The small compact ones suck and my kitchen one is about beat

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
I'm using the base ken onion work sharp and then attaching this blade grinder piece to it (two products). You adjust the angle on the machine and then always hold the blade level. It's pretty easy to get the hang of in my experience, if you're somewhat of a "handy" person. They have a little pedestal at the bottom of the belt that is level. You place the knife on that to get the mental picture of how it's supposed to be held and then transfer it up to the belt.

I'm very happy with it. Don't think I'll have any more dull knives. It was always a hassle for me to keep the knives sharp in processing an entire elk or two at home. I used a Lansky Sharpening system before and didn't really like it. Took me pretty long as well.

Nice. They sell workshop products at Lowes actually now. Im gonna check em out. Just went through gutting a deer this morning (son got his first for youth weekend) and tonight I'll be butchering due to the heat. Cant wait to use my dull knives, lol. My victorinox actually do work pretty good but they do get dull

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Nice. They sell workshop products at Lowes actually now. Im gonna check em out. Just went through gutting a deer this morning (son got his first for youth weekend) and tonight I'll be butchering due to the heat. Cant wait to use my dull knives, lol. My victorinox actually do work pretty good but they do get dull

Congrats on the deer.

I've always dreaded the dull knives in the past!

Shraggs

WKR
Having to take a lot of passes with the course belt likely just means that you are hitting a shallower angle with the work sharp than the previous angle; more metal to take off. You’ll notice the height of the start edge moving higher up on the blade.
I feel for a burr with my thumb or fingernail. I think it helps to flip the burr from side to side and feel it flip over. You don’t need a big burr, but you also don’t want to miss a section of the blade and have to come back for it later in sharpening.
As a long time belt sharpener, this is great advice. The burr does not need to large and glaring, just that it’s present. Alternated sides will mitigate large burr develop. A burr means two different edges have intersected and sharp is now possible.

if you like watching the progress try using a light directly overhead. Even small burrs with from medium grit can be seen in the glare as you move the knife to inspect edge. If you have any flat spots or less sharp areas due dents or rolls they easily reveal this way too.

I also use my finger nail up and down an edge. After burr refinement. Fast with no resistance is sharp, resistance or catching is a problem.

when cutting paper, try 24 or 28 lb. real thin is so easy to cut even with less sharp knives. Thicker paper will cut clean and high pitched sound if sharp. Or be loud and leave visible less clean cuts if knife isn’t actually sharp.

shaving sharp, most reasonable sharp will. Real sharp the hairs will pop up. This is also dependent on angle too tho.

fwiw

As a long time belt sharpener, this is great advice. The burr does not need to large and glaring, just that it’s present. Alternated sides will mitigate large burr develop. A burr means two different edges have intersected and sharp is now possible.

if you like watching the progress try using a light directly overhead. Even small burrs with from medium grit can be seen in the glare as you move the knife to inspect edge. If you have any flat spots or less sharp areas due dents or rolls they easily reveal this way too.

I also use my finger nail up and down an edge. After burr refinement. Fast with no resistance is sharp, resistance or catching is a problem.

when cutting paper, try 24 or 28 lb. real thin is so easy to cut even with less sharp knives. Thicker paper will cut clean and high pitched sound if sharp. Or be loud and leave visible less clean cuts if knife isn’t actually sharp.

shaving sharp, most reasonable sharp will. Real sharp the hairs will pop up. This is also dependent on angle too tho.

fwiw
Agree with all the above. The WS takes a bit of practice to get going, but works great according to the above.