Knife Sharpening

jakeuac

FNG
Any suggestions on a sharpening system that won't break the bank? I have an India Stone and no matter how many videos I watch, I tend to end up with dull knives!

AKDoc

WKR
I've used a Lansky for many years for all my knives, and it puts a razor edge on a good knife every time...it's worth consideration. I use it at home before going into the field, as well as with household knives.

TexaninSconny

Lil-Rokslider
I did some research online and ended up with the Lansky 4 stone Diamond set. Haven’t used it yet, but it has good reviews. Seems like a good value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

jakeuac

FNG
Thanks all, I had actually had this recommended to me by a coworker as well, looks like Lansky is the way to go.

The Gatco Diamond Hone kit is cheaper than Lansky and the stones are wider.

EDIT I bought mine about 20 years ago. I'm reading a lot of reviews from recent buyers about sloppy fitting guide rods and overall poor quality. That's so typical these days; cut a corner here and there to squeeze out just a bit more margin. I was going to delete my original post, but wanted y'all to know.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
I have paper wheels, the Ken onion grinder, lansky, stones.....gobs of them.

For someone who struggles, I'd go with the onion and keep a worksharp guided field sharpener in my pack. That thing CAN sharpen a butter knife, but even more it can touch up a previously sharp knife fast.

It's important to learn what's going wrong. Are you rolling an edge or is it going dull? Rolling might be just a wee to little angle and dulling may be a wee too much. Various steels and tasks response different to different angles.

OP
J

jakeuac

FNG
I buy Benchmade.... with their #LifeSharp, I send my 2 knives in 2x a year

One of the knives I am looking to sharpen is my North Fork. How is the turn around time when you send them in?

*zap*

WKR
I use a Smith's tri hone, small Smith's diamond hone, four sided leather strop and a mill bastard file for very dull (to cut a new edge).

Shave hair off my arm...when done.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
A Worksharp or Lansky probably has the least learning curve.

I use wet stones. If you get the technique correct you can get a good edge with a file and the back of a cheap notebook. I have not used that method in years, but it will teach the basics well (and horrify everyone beautifully).

You sharpen one side stroking away from the spine until you have a well defined wire edge. You then use a very light touch on the other side stroking towards the spine. All you are trying to do is break the wire edge off. Once that is done you use the back of the notebook as a strop for about 5 strokes. Done right it will give a shaving sharp edge in very little time.. It also has easily identifiable transition points, which is great for learning.

Practicing on knivea in 440c or another easiely sharpened steel also helps as will faster cutting stones like wet stones or diamond plates. I will not go back to Arkansas or India stones. While I can sharpen with them, it takes way to long.

Manakh

FNG
Usually get what you pay for man, buy once cry once.

And the steel dictates what I/you sharpen it with... As some of my knives are up to 64 rockwell.

Atoma diamond sharpeners up to 1200 grit for certain steels.

But mostly whetstones
Naniwa, shapton pro, king kds

Burrfection rolled buffalo leather strop with green rogue compound

Use a naniwa whetstone holder.

This is very expensive but I use multiple knives daily... I'm a fishing charter/guide, we get after it in the kitchen and have several japanese steel knives each a different steel, and then there's the hunting knives.

For my hunting knives I usually don't go above 1000 or 1200 grit. Fishing knives for the heavy work again usually not above 1200 for finesse I'll go up to 6000 then the leather strop. My kitchen knives I'll go up to 6000 then use the leather strop and some of these steels I just strop 20 passes every other use and don't hardly ever have to sharpen anymore.

I can get a good edge with my worksharp field sharpener. I am no gods gift to sharpening for sure. I carry one in my box of butchering items that I use if I am at camp and one in my kill kit in my pack.

jt4

WKR
One of the knives I am looking to sharpen is my North Fork. How is the turn around time when you send them in?

I sent two in last month and had them back in 3 or 3-1/2 weeks of when I sent them. This time includes shipping both ways.

JCohHTX

FNG
Ken Onion Worksharp has been great for me. Always had trouble getting a good edge with just a stone, and other electric sharpeners either don't get sharp (for me) or chew up my knives.

MThuntr

WKR
My hunting knife is a benchmade and it gets a touchup from them every year sometimes 2 or 3 times. Turn around has been pretty quick (i think my last one was 2 weeks). I touch them up while cutting game with a diamond handheld thing but admittedly I probably do more damage than good if I'm in a hurry.

I have the Ken Onion Worksharp for my daily use knives and they will get wicked sharp. Once they get an edge it's a quick zip through with the super fine or leather strop belt and off I go. This thing will destroy blades if you let it so practice with a cheap knife.

I have Lansky also but somehow only get mediocre results...it's definitely user error not the fault of the device.