Knife Sharpening

bird35

FNG
I use a KME system to sharpen knives. It isnt cheap by any means but not near as expensive as some of the others. Another one that looks good but i have not tried is the work sharp precision adjustment sharpener. I prefer a sharpener with and angle guide, i never really been very good free handing on a stone and maintaining the proper angle.

I have their travel kit. While nice, I still suck at it. Hard to get the angles right and hard to do knives with any length because the angle changes as you get farther from the base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rclouse79

WKR
Any suggestions on a sharpening system that won't break the bank? I have an India Stone and no matter how many videos I watch, I tend to end up with dull knives!
I have had good luck with the worksharp belt sharpener. I just bought the worksharp field sharpener for my Mora knives because they have a scandi grind. It was very easy to hold the knife at the correct angle and get them scary sharp, and I am a knife sharpening rookie.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
My hunting knife is a benchmade and it gets a touchup from them every year sometimes 2 or 3 times. Turn around has been pretty quick (i think my last one was 2 weeks). I touch them up while cutting game with a diamond handheld thing but admittedly I probably do more damage than good if I'm in a hurry.

I have the Ken Onion Worksharp for my daily use knives and they will get wicked sharp. Once they get an edge it's a quick zip through with the super fine or leather strop belt and off I go. This thing will destroy blades if you let it so practice with a cheap knife.

I have Lansky also but somehow only get mediocre results...it's definitely user error not the fault of the device.

I’ve seen for years.....but

Who the hell is Ken Onion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kpk

WKR
I have the Lansky diamond system and I could legitimately shave with the knives I've done with it. I've been very happy with it.

Since you don’t have a slack belt attachment or belt grinder. Use either the work sharp or ken onion systems. Then grab an old belt and use the face or flesh side of it to strop the wire off the edge. No experience with belts then be careful. They strip steel much faster than a stone or lansky system.

Ive never been real good a knife sharpening, but i won a work sharp at the sportsmans show a few years back and man does it get a sharp edge fast.

Usually get what you pay for man, buy once cry once.

And the steel dictates what I/you sharpen it with... As some of my knives are up to 64 rockwell.

Atoma diamond sharpeners up to 1200 grit for certain steels.

But mostly whetstones
Naniwa, shapton pro, king kds

Burrfection rolled buffalo leather strop with green rogue compound

Use a naniwa whetstone holder.

This is very expensive but I use multiple knives daily... I'm a fishing charter/guide, we get after it in the kitchen and have several japanese steel knives each a different steel, and then there's the hunting knives.

For my hunting knives I usually don't go above 1000 or 1200 grit. Fishing knives for the heavy work again usually not above 1200 for finesse I'll go up to 6000 then the leather strop. My kitchen knives I'll go up to 6000 then use the leather strop and some of these steels I just strop 20 passes every other use and don't hardly ever have to sharpen anymore.
Burrfection Rolled Buffalo Leather Strope: Really good. I use it w/o the compound for no other reason than I don't have the compound.

Vaultman

WKR
Edge Pro Apex.
This is really the only system I have ever had. I do not know how it compares to others but I really like it. They are located close to me, and I think that is how I heard about them. I have ordered a few others as gifts and the recipient is usually pretty happy as well. Also easy for me to get replacement stones.

A sharpening system that will not break the bank? I guess that depends upon if your bank account looks like, $ or $$ or $$$ or $$$$ or $$$$$ ...

My wife did go way above an beyond for Christmas last year by getting me/us the Edge Pro Apex sharpening system. Over the last few years, I wore out one Lansky and brought another, but grew increasingly frustrated with the Lansky system. I even felt compromised as a man because I started having some knives professionally sharpened. Now my manhood is fully restored because our kitchen knives, skinning knives, and every other knife of any worth are sharp, razor sharp!

Can a man really place a dollar sign on his manhood?

PS - I am not really so fragile that I think my, or any other man's, manhood rides upon the sharpness of our blades. The manhood references are just a joke, but it does feel really rewarding to be able to quickly bring a blade from dull to razor sharp. My lack of success with the Lansky may owe more to my own failings than with the system, but what ever failings that were present with the Lansky are gone with the Edge Pro.

Vaultman

WKR
A sharpening system that will not break the bank? I guess that depends upon if your bank account looks like, $ or $$ or $$$ or $$$$ or $$$$$ ...

My wife did go way above an beyond for Christmas last year by getting me/us the Edge Pro Apex sharpening system. Over the last few years, I wore out one Lansky and brought another, but grew increasingly frustrated with the Lansky system. I even felt compromised as a man because I started having some knives professionally sharpened. Now my manhood is fully restored because our kitchen knives, skinning knives, and every other knife of any worth are sharp, razor sharp!

Can a man really place a dollar sign on his manhood?

PS - I am not really so fragile that I think my, or any other man's, manhood rides upon the sharpness of our blades. The manhood references are just a joke, but it does feel really rewarding to be able to quickly bring a blade from dull to razor sharp. My lack of success with the Lansky may owe more to my own failings than with the system, but what ever failings that were present with the Lansky are gone with the Edge Pro.
Good post.

PS. Only Dreaming.... Your PS wasn't necessary. 😉

arock

Lil-Rokslider
2 diamond stones and a leather strop if you're going super cheap. Course and Fine. I think the equivalent is like 250 and 800 grit I think is a nice happy median. You'll get sharp there. You could go 650 and 1200 but 650 is a pita if the edge is chipped. Having all 4 is a nice option.

The ceramic stones cut faster which is nice for harder metal but I prefer the diamond ones for knives as they stay flat. For hand planes or chisels the flatness is less important but trying to sweep a knife across a stone that is dished is no bueno.

WCB

WKR
I have a Work Sharp tool and knife sharpener...no complaints

montei

FNG
Got the new work sharp precision adjust sharpener this year. It’s amazing. Works exactly like the KME but only costs $50. I’ve been able to reprofile knives with it and they get scary sharp. Highly recommend.