Knight barrel moving in stock from recoil

84toyota

Lil-Rokslider
So I bought a Knight Long Range Hunter back in 2007. I don't shoot it a lot (hunt with it every couple years). I'm shooting 105 grains of Blackhorn 209 (not the maximum load). As more time goes on, the barrel moves rearward in the stock a very minor amount from recoil. It has actually bent the screw that screws into the lug, attaching the barrel to the stock. I tighten that screw about as tight as I can get it. The real problem is that when the barrel moves rearward after the shot, the trigger seems to get bound up. You try to shoot the second shot, and you physically can't pull the trigger. If you loosen the screw, slide the barrel forward and re tighten, you can shoot a second shot without the trigger binding. Rinse and repeat, shot after shot. Am I the only one that has experienced this? I wonder if bedding the stock will solve the problem? Maybe I need a new stock? Hard to sight this gun in when it moves with each shot. Hard to have confidence as a hunting rifle when the trigger is bound up half the time! Any input?

So I bought a Knight Long Range Hunter back in 2007. I don't shoot it a lot (hunt with it every couple years). I'm shooting 105 grains of Blackhorn 209 (not the maximum load). As more time goes on, the barrel moves rearward in the stock a very minor amount from recoil. It has actually bent the screw that screws into the lug, attaching the barrel to the stock. I tighten that screw about as tight as I can get it. The real problem is that when the barrel moves rearward after the shot, the trigger seems to get bound up. You try to shoot the second shot, and you physically can't pull the trigger. If you loosen the screw, slide the barrel forward and re tighten, you can shoot a second shot without the trigger binding. Rinse and repeat, shot after shot. Am I the only one that has experienced this? I wonder if bedding the stock will solve the problem? Maybe I need a new stock? Hard to sight this gun in when it moves with each shot. Hard to have confidence as a hunting rifle when the trigger is bound up half the time! Any input?

Gee I would really suggest bedding that recoil lug..... or try this loosen the lug screw and stand the rifle on the recoil pad. tighten the recoil screw until it is just snug. Then tap the rifle on the floor with the recoil pad absorbing the movement. Now tighten the lug screw tight. Doing this puts the barreled action at the very back of the stock. Now check and see if the trigger is bound. If it is you may need to remove a little wood to allow the trigger to function. It is probably contacting some stock wood in the trigger inlet.

I always tighten my barreled action to the rear as far as I can get it to prevent the problem you are describing - especially over time.

OP
84toyota

84toyota

Lil-Rokslider
I think my gun needs to be bedded. I think too much wood was removed from behind the recoil lug from the factory. Tapping it rearward aaa you suggest seems to compound the problem. I'll look into bedding options tomorrow

I think my gun needs to be bedded. I think too much wood was removed from behind the recoil lug from the factory. Tapping it rearward aaa you suggest seems to compound the problem. I'll look into bedding options tomorrow

From your description - thinking bedding the recoil lug is the way to go.

OP
84toyota

84toyota

Lil-Rokslider
The barrel moves rearward under recoil so far, that the bolt handle contacts the stock in the bolt groove, and the bolt release button contacts the stock. If I tighten the rear c clip screw too tight, the trigger binds up somewhere. So I've been leaving it fairly loose, tightening the front screw pretty tight, which still allows it to slide rearward under recoil, binding up the trigger. Hopefully bedding the lug, maybe the c clip/tang area, and part of the barrel will remedy the problem by not allowing any rearward motion...

OP
84toyota

84toyota

Lil-Rokslider
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440381814.375339.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1440381828.974214.jpg
These photos will hopefully depict where the bolt and bolt release should be before they shift rearward and ride hard against the stock.

OP
84toyota

84toyota

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I had the local gunsmith bed around the recoil lug and rear mounting screw. I didn't do a full bedding job - just around the lug. I have not taken it out to shoot yet (this weekend), but it seems like the problem will be taken care of. I'll post some summary results soon.

Well, I had the local gunsmith bed around the recoil lug and rear mounting screw. I didn't do a full bedding job - just around the lug. I have not taken it out to shoot yet (this weekend), but it seems like the problem will be taken care of. I'll post some summary results soon.

Not that it matters - but that is exactly what I would have suggested and what I would have done! Bet it works real well for you,

OP
84toyota

84toyota

Lil-Rokslider
By the way - problem solved! No more slop between barrel and stock, groups are tightening, no binding of the trigger. This should be done on all new gun purchases!