Knight breech plug shimming

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
So ive read about the breech plug shimming and have the temp shims in my hand for my ultralite that is on a brown truck for delivery today. Question is, i will measure today and order the perm shims, but will there be an issue shooting a few rounds with the temp shims in?

Im 99% sure the colorado version comes with the FPJ or whatever the plastic thing is, so i also ordered the lehigh breech plug, a couple extra liners, and the adapter. pictures to come tonight when i get home.

tdhanses

WKR
If you have the FPJ just be aware that the bolt will not work with a bare primer breech. I’ve never shimmed my FPJ breech. You’ll also have to buy the bare primer bolt setup to use the Lehigh. The FPJ does a great job sealing it up and I’d recommend shooting it first before you do anything.

OP
07yzryder

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
If you have the FPJ just be aware that the bolt will not work with a bare primer breech. I’ve never shimmed my FPJ breech. You’ll also have to buy the bare primer bolt setup to use the Lehigh. The FPJ does a great job sealing it up and I’d recommend shooting it first before you do anything.

does this not do as it says?

The Lehigh Bare Primer adapter is a conversion component for Knight Rifles with the RPJ bolt assembly (Red Plastic Jacket). The Adapter in combination with the correct Bare Primer Breech Plug will convert the rifle from Red Plastic Jacket to a Bare Primer rifle (209 shot shell primer).

tdhanses

WKR
Interesting that’s new to me, when I bought mine that wasn’t around so I have a complete bare primer setup as well but never used since the FPJ works well but it came with a new bolt.

Thats a much cheaper route to go!

Last edited:
OP
07yzryder

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting that’s new to me, when I bought mine that wasn’t around so I have a complete bare primer setup as well but never used since the FPJ works well but it came with a new bolt.

Thats a much cheaper route to go!

Yea initial research wqas that id need the bare primer conversion and have to spend over 100 on it all and i was skeptical. but then i seen this and decided its nice to have the option of either in a quick swap package. Ill let you know tonight if it works lol

So ive read about the breech plug shimming and have the temp shims in my hand for my ultralite that is on a brown truck for delivery today. Question is, i will measure today and order the perm shims, but will there be an issue shooting a few rounds with the temp shims in?

Im 99% sure the colorado version comes with the FPJ or whatever the plastic thing is, so i also ordered the lehigh breech plug, a couple extra liners, and the adapter. pictures to come tonight when i get home.

Excellent purchase! Your rifle will come with a FPJ (Red Plastic Jacket Bolt). This can easily be converted to a bare primer setup using some Lehigh parts. You will need a Lehigh Primer adapter, bare primer breech plug and vent liners for the nose of the breech plug.

Follow this link to get to the different parts

Make sure that you order the correct breech plug.

This is the bolt with the primer adapter installed

IMG-0002.jpg

Primer dropped into the adapter ready to be pushed forward with the bolt

IMG-1221.jpg

Bolt closed and ready to be shot

IMG-0001.jpg

Here is a link to the shims - should you need them

OP
07yzryder

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
Excellent purchase! Your rifle will come with a FPJ (Red Plastic Jacket Bolt). This can easily be converted to a bare primer setup using some Lehigh parts. You will need a Lehigh Primer adapter, bare primer breech plug and vent liners for the nose of the breech plug.

Follow this link to get to the different parts

Make sure that you order the correct breech plug.

This is the bolt with the primer adapter installed

IMG-0002.jpg

Primer dropped into the adapter ready to be pushed forward with the bolt

IMG-1221.jpg

Bolt closed and ready to be shot

IMG-0001.jpg

Here is a link to the shims - should you need them

yup used a previous thread you had to order the parts. And probably your shimming threads lol. Do you know if it can be shot with the temp shims installed? I have the slightly narrower shims on hand and once i do the measurement ill order the "press fit" shims but would like to shoot it this weekend at least a few rounds. Then again i guess since its easy enough to swap i can shoot it this weekend with the RPJ and wait for the proper shims.

yup used a previous thread you had to order the parts. And probably your shimming threads lol. Do you know if it can be shot with the temp shims installed? I have the slightly narrower shims on hand and once i do the measurement ill order the "press fit" shims but would like to shoot it this weekend at least a few rounds. Then again i guess since its easy enough to swap i can shoot it this weekend with the RPJ and wait for the proper shims.

Yes, it really could be - but I would probably shoot it without any shims - will not hurt a thing other than it will get dirty. When you get ready to shim it for real MAKE SURE the the primer pocket is CLEAN.

Which primers do you have???

OP
07yzryder

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, it really could be - but I would probably shoot it without any shims - will not hurt a thing other than it will get dirty. When you get ready to shim it for real MAKE SURE the the primer pocket is CLEAN.

Which primers do you have???

i have 1k federal and 2k winchester 209's to try with the BH. guess ill go with no shim to make sure one of the 2 wil lignite then shim for it.

i have 1k federal and 2k winchester 209's to try with the BH. guess ill go with no shim to make sure one of the 2 wil lignite then shim for it.
I really would suggest the W209 first. They are the longer of the two primers listed and have a better chance working from the factory. In any event they will require less shimming than the shorter Feds.

OP
07yzryder

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
W209 work like a champ, FP removed and the bolt drops, with the 209 it drops about half then takes a little pressure almost like cocking the rifle to close. Glad I grabbed 2k of those, I'll save the federals for the diablo pistols!

Have some warner mounts but my spare optics sit too low so grabbing another set of rings Friday so I have magnification for load testing.

Currently have 100 of the lehigh 452 cf in Sabots. Might grab some 290 TMZ while I get the rings.

Used the thor and the NE sizers, the 502 copper was a PITA to start then smooth around 20lbs vs the 501 that had practically 0 pressure. Lead was smooth for all, the .503 and .504 both had good engagement with the lands so I'm going to work with the 504 since it wasn't hard to load and fits snug.

Heard the stock ramrod was a field rod only so went with the spinloader ramrod and loader as well as their starter.

This weekend should be fun, my first smokepole and a new 300 win mag. Also 90 degrees

Attachments

• 20210331_223230.jpg
    20210331_223230.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 15