Knight DISC .45 recommendations

StorMay05

FNG
Stopped by one of the local gun stores to just look around saw asked to look at a knight that was just put out on the shelf. Turns out it was a new super DISC that had been forgot about in the warehouse, only wanted $150 for it so i walked out with it.

I'm not new to muzzle loaders so i know each one needs it's own load worked up in them but, i would like some recommendations for a starting point on what everyone else has had luck with. For my .50 CVAs i use the 420gr no excuses and 80 grains of loose T7. I hear knights are better suited for sabots. I am in Florida which is where it will see the most use, mostly small whitetails (do have a sambar deer tag next fall though). All bullet styles are legal here.

This is my first bolt action ML so is there anything to look out for? Maybe a place where fouling likes to collect, or just any general care tips would be appreciated.

Lastly the gun uses the orange discs, would it be better to convert to the red disc, or matbe the liegh defense breech plug? I am in Florida which is where it will see the most use

Stopped by one of the local gun stores to just look around saw asked to look at a knight that was just put out on the shelf. Turns out it was a new super DISC that had been forgot about in the warehouse, only wanted $150 for it so i walked out with it.

You could be a very lucky guy, depending on the serial of the rifle. Check your serial number.... IF you have a blued model and the serial number is 2291 or less - you have the prize! Your rifle will have a 1-in-20 twist. If your rifle is a Stainless then anything 5043 and under will be a 1-20 twist.

Anything above those numbers will have a slower twist of 1-30.

Today - right now the 1-20 is the most desired and the most expensive. Not to say there is anything really wrong with the 1-30.

The hang up is the 1-30 will not stabilize longer bullets of today where the 1-20 will.

I'm not new to muzzle loaders so i know each one needs it's own load worked up in them but, i would like some recommendations for a starting point on what everyone else has had luck with. For my .50 CVAs i use the 420gr no excuses and 80 grains of loose T7. I hear knights are better suited for sabots. I am in Florida which is where it will see the most use, mostly small whitetails (do have a sambar deer tag next fall though). All bullet styles are legal here.

The Knight rifles will shoot full bore and saboted bullets equally well. Your limiting factor will be the length of the bullet. If you want to shoot long heavy lead conicals - let's hope you have a 1-20 rifle.

[/quote]This is my first bolt action ML so is there anything to look out for? Maybe a place where fouling likes to collect, or just any general care tips would be appreciated.

Lastly the gun uses the orange discs, would it be better to convert to the red disc, or matbe the liegh defense breech plug? I am in Florida which is where it will see the most use[/QUOTE]

Personally I think you would be miles ahead to get a Knight Red FPJ Bolt and convert the rifle with the Lehigh primer adapter, Breech Plug, and Vent Liner to shoot bare 209 primers. Unfortunately the purchase of new bolt handle and housing is not cheap.

Another thing about your bolt... - You have what is called a 'C' tool bolt. It requires a tool shaped like a 'C' for you to be able to remove the hammer assembly from the bolt housing. If this is a new-in-the-box purchase there should be a tool in the box. If not 7/16" open end wrench will serve the purpose.

Your current bolt handle and housing will not work with Red jackets or Bare Primer. Your bolt will not pull back to allow the use of the Red jackets or Bare primer.

Hope some of this helps you!

mike

OP
StorMay05

StorMay05

FNG
Sabotloader thanks for all the info. You're such a fountain of great knowledge when it comes to smokepoles. It is a stainless gun, # S002101 and the tag that was on it (about disintegrated BTW) said it was a 1:20, so i guess i got lucky. Ill look into the primer conversion, a bare primer really appeals to me more. Yes this was a new in the box purchase, all paperwork, tools, and very stuck on cosmoline(or whatever packing grease) came with it. Came with a gift certificate for 100 "knight Bucks" as well it expired 01/01/2000...I wonder if Knight will still honor it.

Sabotloader thanks for all the info. You're such a fountain of great knowledge when it comes to smokepoles. It is a stainless gun, # S002101 and the tag that was on it (about disintegrated BTW) said it was a 1:20, so i guess i got lucky. Ill look into the primer conversion, a bare primer really appeals to me more. Yes this was a new in the box purchase, all paperwork, tools, and very stuck on cosmoline(or whatever packing grease) came with it. Came with a gift certificate for 100 "knight Bucks" as well it expired 01/01/2000...I wonder if Knight will still honor it.

You know... if I were you I would email 'Justin" at Knight rifles - tell him about your purchase and how lucky you feel about it. Also the 100 Knight bucks and you know it is expired but what would he have to charge for a Red Plastic Bolt. You never know he might be able to offer you a really good buy on that bolt.

That guy is always looking to help Knight owners as much as he can.

OP
StorMay05

StorMay05

FNG
You know... if I were you I would email 'Justin" at Knight rifles - tell him about your purchase and how lucky you feel about it. Also the 100 Knight bucks and you know it is expired but what would he have to charge for a Red Plastic Bolt. You never know he might be able to offer you a really good buy on that bolt.

That guy is always looking to help Knight owners as much as he can.
Thanks for the tip. I’ll shoot him and email in the morning.