Knight DISC PacNorthwest Legal

I wrote this up awhile back but I thought i would bring it over here also..

Got the new Knight Western Kit bolt in the mail the other day and I was excited to get out and try it. This new bolt is a modification that Knight has been working on; it should improve the safety factor to the shooter vs. the older style Western Bolt.

I did send pictures to Game officials in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. Washington and Oregon both responded that the gun met the existing rules for muzzleloading hunting. In the “cocked and ready to fire position” the both the nipple and the cap are sufficiently exposed to the weather to meet the ‘open breech rule’. The official in Oregon did also agree that from the appearance in the pictures I sent it seems to meet Oregon’s rule also. He reserved final opinion until he or another Oregon game official could see and work the action. I am taking the rifle with me on my next trip to Kennewick, WA and I will run it down to Umatilla or Hermiston to get a State official to check the gun.

I did get some pictures hope you do not mind me sharing them…

2011WConv-1.jpg

2011WConv-2.jpg

RangePictures.jpg

P1010014.jpg

I chose to install the Western Kit in one of my DISC Elites to run this test, I really did not want take down one of the Extremes at this time.

At the farm I did set a target out, but after two shots into it, I got bored and started shooting clay pigeons at various ranges.

I was shooting with a CCI #11 Mag cap, (which I personally much prefer over a Musket cap) - 110 grains T7-3f, with a HPH-24 sabot and a Speer Uni-Core 250 grain bullet. I shot 31 times without any problems at all. I did run a moist Windex patch every 10 shots, but from what I felt in the bore it was not necessary.

On shot 32 I got my first hint of a problem… a very slight hang fire, shot 33-34 went just fine, shot 35 was more than a slight hang fire. I ran a nipple pick and it seemed to help for about 5 shots, then back to hang fires. At this point I pulled the nipple and checked it – it was clear… So, out came the breech plug… the flash channel was nearly plugged with blowback material. Not hard carbon but a soft material. Blew that out re-installed every and shot another 10 shots. During all of these shots – not once did I have a problem with the ignition of the cap. The Kit Works… and it is Pacific Northwest Legal!!!

Yes... I know - I have to remove the scope for ML season. But I hunt all year with a ML now so I have the scope on for Idaho rifle season...

Sabotloader....I have hunted with a muzzleloader in Oregon since the 1980's and we are currently using the Knight DISC extreme with the conversion kit. I am 99.99% certain you are legal.

As you know you have to use a round ball or an all lead conical in Oregon. You ought to try out the NO Excuses 460 grain bullet. These are manufactured in Utah and have been sized to 0.503" and load like butter in the Knight. The fast barrel twist on the Knight is primarily designed for shooting sabots, my understanding is that a heavy bullet will give you the best accuracy and retained energy at the range associated with shooting open sights (up to 125-150 yards). I am sold on the No Excuses bullets. Here is the link:

http://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com/

OP
sabotloader
Sabotloader....I have hunted with a muzzleloader in Oregon since the 1980's and we are currently using the Knight DISC extreme with the conversion kit. I am 99.99% certain you are legal.

As you know you have to use a round ball or an all lead conical in Oregon. You ought to try out the NO Excuses 460 grain bullet. These are manufactured in Utah and have been sized to 0.503" and load like butter in the Knight. The fast barrel twist on the Knight is primarily designed for shooting sabots, my understanding is that a heavy bullet will give you the best accuracy and retained energy at the range associated with shooting open sights (up to 125-150 yards). I am sold on the No Excuses bullets. Here is the link:

http://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com/

Yep, i shoot .503-460 grain Bull Shops..

I also shoot this bullet in my 1-24 twist Whites - they shoot very well in both guns...

Basically the samething as the No-Excuse except I do prefer Dan's lube.

460grBullShop.jpg

During rifle season I shoot a Knight Bloodline .458-300 grain bullet in the supplied sabot.

CompositeBloodline.jpg

Last edited:
OP
sabotloader
Dan is open again but he has moved to the Dakota's. He gets on Cast Boolets at times but I have not got his new address or contact information. When I do I will pass it on...

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Very informative sabotloader! Thanks for sharing and this is good news for a lot of Idaho guys who had to closet their Disc rifles in 2003 when Idaho outlawed the closed breech. Thanks!