Knight mk 85

Teaman1

WKR
I’ve been using encores and a pro hunter recently, but my wife won a mk 85 and it came with nothing. I’m struggling to find the manual and other info on it, but she wants me to take it elk hunting. Anyone know what a max charge is for this gun?

elkguide

WKR
The MK-85 was one of the best muzzleloaders ever manufactured. Timney triggers with Green Mountain barrels. I still own 3 and while I have several newer ML's, I frequently use one of my MK-85's to hunt with. As to loads and bullets, I would start at 90 grains of 777 or Pyrodex and work up in 5 grain increments. I wouldn't recommend going over 120 grains. Of the three that I have one likes 240 grain bullets and the other two are stuck on 295 grain pills. As the MK-85 is an open breech ML, if you are using a scope, be sure to cover the scope so as not to burn it. Enjoy.

I have a PDF manual, send me your email address via PM and I will send it to you.

The MK is one heck of a good plunger rifle. Can be accurate as all get out.

Not all MK's had a GM barrel, really depends on the age of the rifle. But! no matter the contract barrels that we used when the rifle was introduced are actually really good barrels,

THE KNIGHT MK-85 MAKES THE FIELD & STREAM'S 50 BEST GUNS EVER MADE LIST

“Tony Knight is another country gunsmith who changed the way things are done. In 1985, he built muzzleloaders with the nipple at the rear of the barrel, directly behind the powder charge instead of alongside. This made ignition far more reliable and began the Great Blackpowder Revolution, which has resulted in muzzleloaders that are practically as accurate, reliable, and fast to load as cartridge-firing arms. All this drives traditionalists mad. But ordinary hunters love it.” – Field & Stream

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
Sabotloader, Didn’t we determined that my Old .54 Cal MK-85 had a Wiseman Barrel on it? Due to the Crown if I remember right? I know one thing, it shot DARN GOOD!!

gGNHr5S.jpg

xPnoKpv.jpg

pU1pWKV.jpg

21LJPBMm.jpg

8oyHWyr.jpg

BMCTjRs.jpg

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
OP, You have an AWESOME Rifle!! Be DILIGENT in Cleaning/Caring for it, Your great grandchildren will be shooting it someday (y)

manitou1

WKR
I had one that would shoot 100 yd. nickel-sized three shot groups with XTP 240 gr bullets. Wish I would have kept it.

I can not tell for sure... if the face of the barrel is concave (not flat then it is a Wiseman). We kinda labeled the Wiseman concave crown 'the funky crown'

Not sure you can see it in this picture either but this is the crown on a Wiseman

MK-85-Funky-Crown.jpg