Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist Paper Patch Bullet Test

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
I went out this morning to try 2 different bullets in my Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist, One of my Favorite Paper Patch Bullets that i have been Shooting for Several years, i have shot this exact same bullet to 500 Yards in my 1:30 Twist GM LRH Barrel in a TC Hawken Stock, With Peep Sights. I have turned out some impressive Groups over the last few years with this Particular Bullet, I started Shooting this Bullet not long after i Started shooting Muzzleloaders, This Bullet FLAT OUT Shoots! This morning’s go around proved no different in this New Knight Mountaineer 1:20 Twist. If i were a competitive Shooter i would NO DOUBT Shoot these against ANY Bullet out there, BRING IT ON! These things will hang with ANYTHING!!

The Bullet after i Patch them, I short patch these. I get these Bullets by the Box of 50 from Buffalo Arms, they are a Swaged Cupped Base Bullet, .444-400 (.444 Diameter, 400 Grains) Quality Control with these is IMPECCABLE, The majority will weigh to the 10th of a Grain of eachother (Again, they are Swaged, NOT CAST)

If i do my part, this little Bullet will do it’s (y)
B4-B49165-A0-F1-4-ACA-ADA2-335-B1-FB28-A57.jpg

The little 300 Grain Grease Groove Bullet was a NO GO, It played out about like i figured it would, But i needed to know for sure. NO DOUBT i could get this MUCH better, but this was just me wanting to Tinker around with something Different. I have MUCH Better Bullets, And Several of them for this Particular Rifle, and Rate of Twist.

Boomtakem2

Lil-Rokslider
You can straight out shoot!

I have to say that I look at the Muzzleloader link each day hoping that "Sabotloader", and yourself post. I learn something each time!

Thanks to you both for sharing your knowledge!!!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great shooting. Would this bullet be Idaho legal (can’t be a sabot so I’m not sure if that pouch is considered a Sabot.) I believe Idaho‘s rule is that it can only be so many thousands from the Lands. Just seeing if you know?
And have you tried them in Knights 1:30 barrel in their Mountaineer? That’s what I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
Great shooting. Would this bullet be Idaho legal (can’t be a sabot so I’m not sure if that pouch is considered a Sabot.) I believe Idaho‘s rule is that it can only be so many thousands from the Lands. Just seeing if you know?
And have you tried them in Knights 1:30 barrel in their Mountaineer? That’s what I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robby, DEFINITELY Idaho legal 👍 And These Bullets shoot STELLAR in a 1:30 Twist, That is Precisely the Twist i have been shooting these Bullets in for Several Years

This is 1 of my “Hotrod” Hawken Rifles, The Barrel is a Green Mountain .45 Cal LRH (Long Range Hunter) 1:30 Twist
PCFjNrNl.jpg

This is the EXACT Same spot i shot the Target below, 105 Yards with my Leica 1600 Rangefinder
9hZXpxg.jpg

Same EXACT .444-400 Paper Patch Bullets as i Just Shot in my New Mountaineer in Video above. There are 7 Shots in this Target from the 1:30 Twist Sidelock above
OFWZ5BH.jpg

Same Rifle, Same Bullet, Except 500 Yards (505 to be exact)
mc92cOj.jpg

A view from the Target looking back at my Truck and Bench
TjHT0sx.jpg

The Target was HUGE, obviously so I could see it 👍 I could Drive around here and Hike up to Set my Target. This is looking up at the target to get an Idea how Big the Target was. For a Bullseye, i used a piece of Regular Computer printer Paper
iFWx65s.jpg

After a few attempts at Getting on Target (Note the Peep Bridge of my Rifle in Pic above on the Bench, I am using up ALL of my Elevation here) I ended up with 3 Shots in 7 inches, Not quite MOA But pretty darn Close, and For Open/Peep Sights i am Happy with it 👍
mzSKYhc.jpg

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
That is some PHENOMAL shooting!

I'd like to test some of those Buffalo Arms Bullets. Before I order, how/where do I order the paper patch and what do I need to know to load them?

OP
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
That is some PHENOMAL shooting!

I'd like to test some of those Buffalo Arms Bullets. Before I order, how/where do I order the paper patch and what do I need to know to load them?

Robby, I’ll send ya enough of these to Try a Few Groups 👍 The REAL Key with these is Knowing your Bore Diameter, Say your Bore Diameter is .451, I will send you .450-.451

This Paper is thin, But REALLY durable Stuff (9# onion Skin) But you gotta remember it is Paper, and won’t take a TON of Abuse. Ideally, you want these to Go Down with Just Enough Resistance to “Hold the Bore” Good. If they are To tight you are gonna Tear the Jacket.

I have NO DOUBT you will be impressed with these Things 👍 Your 1:30 Twist Mountaineer will SHINE with these Bullets. Like I said, i have been running this Bullet in a 1:30 Twist for 3-4 years now, and results have been STELLAR

Macegl

Lil-Rokslider
I have enjoyed watching you and Idahoron's posts on paper patched bullets and hot rod hawkens on other muzzleloader forums. Glad your posting it on Rokslide.

AD338

FNG
I know this is an old thread, but I saw it today and wanted to say that I was glad to find out! I've been paper patching for my Lyman Great Plains Hunter in 50 cal for 6 years now, inspired by Idahoron. Their accuracy and consistency has been amazing.

I don't know if I'll get any replies but thought this thread might be the place to start, I have a Knight Revolution 50 cal with a 1:24 barrel. I have tried to run paper patch bullets through it and I have not been able to find any decent groups. It seems strange that I can't get it to group, even at 50 yards, but my GPH can do first sized groups with a peep sight all day long at 200yds. Is there anything special you did with your knight to get it to shoot accurately?