Knight Mountaineer loads

OP
brunse

brunse

Lil-Rokslider
Got out today. Shot a few at 150. First shot seemed to hit the target in a tumble. Second at the bottom of the target. So the last two aimed at the top dot. I’m thinking I’ll get some no excuses 420g bullets?? Keep the 90g powder (Swiss ffg)??D9B69BEA-2EEF-4D4B-A165-3B1E8CA653EC.jpeg

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
If I was shooting the lower one would be me or first clean barrel shot ,, it does look to be tumble . The others are clean ,

Looking at the target... and this is really speculation, the first bullet on a clean barrel did tumble. Even the second has some wobble to it. The last two with the fouling in the barrel from the first two shots were true.

I am guessing the bullets may not have been tight enough in the bore to grip the lands. And really shooting Swiss the pressure of the ignition should have obturated the bullet enough that it would.

Questions...
1. did you wipe the bore dry before shooting?
2. did you shoot a few caps/primers before shooting the first shot?
3. I guessing you were not running a patch in between each shot which in this case could also be good.

Remember these are all speculation

OP
brunse

brunse

Lil-Rokslider
I really don’t shoot much. I feel much better after a couple shots. If not for the year I would assume shooter error... My routine so far is to run a wet patch and a dry patch between each shot. Not likely on the first shot though. Only One 209 primer prior to first shot.

If I find that I do better with a slightly fouled barrel... what is a good recommendation when loading for a wilderness hunt to ensure the best first shot accuracy?? Even after a few days of not unloading. Thanks for the replies.

OP
brunse

brunse

Lil-Rokslider
I’m considering sabotloader may be right. The later shots for me on both shooting occasions are tighter to load and grouped tighter. I maybe should be moving to .503 rather than the 502??

OP
brunse

brunse

Lil-Rokslider
So I finally shot some no excuses through my Mountaineer. I bought three sizing packs. The .500 slid through without much pressure. The .501 was easy but left rifling grooves.

I only shot the 502, 503, 504. Technique was 85 grains Swiss ffg followed by a disc(wad) and the 420 grain conical.

All 3 shot groups. 1-2 wet patches followed by 2 dry patches before each shot. I cleared the nipple before each shot by firing in an empty chamber with a 209 primer.

Groups were less consistent than the 550g conicals (Buffalo arms maybe?? Given to me) with 90g Swiss. Grouping: 502 were about 2”, 503 3 1/2” and 504 4”.

None appeared to tumble.

I thinking I will get a box of 460 g no excuses in 502. Some BH 209. Appropriate primers. And work them up with Swiss ffg, some pyrodex I have around and the BH.

Sound reasonable? Suggestions? I’m going to hunt Colorado mule deer with it. Thanks s million.