Knight Mountaineer vs Ultralight

TFin04

FNG
Hunting with a CVA Optima now which is serviceable but I have decided to upgrade to a Knight.

I was set on the Ultralight until a local shop posted an unfired Mountaineer for sale for $600. The price is extremely tempting but the 2.5 lb weight difference is making me think twice.

I hunt in the midwest for whitetails, but I am getting more into hiking into large pieces of public ground and have been trying to lighten my load. Our terrain is easy but it's often snow covered and cold as hell, meaning bulky clothing and difficult hiking.

The ~$300 difference in price is notable up front, but doesn't really matter in the grand scheme over multiple years of hunting. I feel like that 2.5 lbs would be notable every time I picked it up.

I know the heavy gun will shoot softer (and has 3" more pipe) which might make a fun long range M/L project, but those shots are quite rare in my area. I could snag the Mountaineer this week and probably hunt with it this season, but I'd wait on an Ultralight until next year to find a good deal and get it shipped to me.

What do you guys think?

tdhanses

WKR
I would go with the ultralite. That 2.5lbs is about as cheap as it gets to drop as far as cash goes.

OP
T

TFin04

FNG
I would go with the ultralite. That 2.5lbs is about as cheap as it gets to drop as far as cash goes.

That's a good point, I never thought of it that way. Thanks, I think I will stick with my original plan and buy the Ultralite.

TomAZ

Lil-Rokslider
That's a good point, I never thought of it that way. Thanks, I think I will stick with my original plan and buy the Ultralite.

If you’re not shooting long distances, I’d get the ultralight also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunting with a CVA Optima now which is serviceable but I have decided to upgrade to a Knight.

I was set on the Ultralight until a local shop posted an unfired Mountaineer for sale for $600. The price is extremely tempting but the 2.5 lb weight difference is making me think twice.

I hunt in the midwest for whitetails, but I am getting more into hiking into large pieces of public ground and have been trying to lighten my load. Our terrain is easy but it's often snow covered and cold as hell, meaning bulky clothing and difficult hiking.

The ~$300 difference in price is notable up front, but doesn't really matter in the grand scheme over multiple years of hunting. I feel like that 2.5 lbs would be notable every time I picked it up.

I know the heavy gun will shoot softer (and has 3" more pipe) which might make a fun long range M/L project, but those shots are quite rare in my area. I could snag the Mountaineer this week and probably hunt with it this season, but I'd wait on an Ultralight until next year to find a good deal and get it shipped to me.

What do you guys think?

I would go ULite but I am old

Check this link - this would be in the area of $200 diff for the first one

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/brands/knight-rifles/knight-ultra-lite-muzzleloader-rifles

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I had to read this a couple times to make sure I read it write , My Knight ULTRA LITE is a long range gun . Some YouTube vids on long range NW legal ML type shooting..

I had to read this a couple times to make sure I read it write , My Knight ULTRA LITE is a long range gun . Some YouTube vids on long range NW legal ML type shooting..

I did not hit on the long range thing - because every one may have a difference in what is long range.... I shoot my Ulites to 200 or 200+ yards with a scope without any problems - I call that long range for me but others talk about 3-4-500 yards as long range. Never even thought about shooting at an animal that far with a ML - but you and I know others can do it!

danarnold

WKR
love my UL, its my 1st ML and it spoiled me. I set it up cor Co regs and between Sabotloader and Robbie theres some really great info in the archives