Knight plunger hammer question

ChrisN

FNG
Hi all. I'm sorry if I have missed finding this info if it's here already. Can someone please describe disassembling the hammer in a new Knight Wolverine rifle? I'm guessing the hammer screw holds it together. Is it Loctited and just requires enough force to remove the screw, or something else? I just bought the rifle, have not fired it yet, and want to be able to clean the hammer after firing. Thanks much for your help and all the good info I've come across on here.

Chris.

Hi all. I'm sorry if I have missed finding this info if it's here already. Can someone please describe disassembling the hammer in a new Knight Wolverine rifle? I'm guessing the hammer screw holds it together. Is it Loctited and just requires enough force to remove the screw, or something else? I just bought the rifle, have not fired it yet, and want to be able to clean the hammer after firing. Thanks much for your help and all the good info I've come across on here.

Chris.

Chris to clean the hammer assembly the best way is to remove it from the receiver. At the rear of the receiver there is a knurled knob. Grip the know and turn it CCW to start the removal.

mk-85.jpg

After you have turned the knob completely out pull the hammer assembly from the receiver.

HammerAssembly.jpg

Breech-Parts.jpg

To put the hammer assembly back in - pull the trigger and push the assembly back into the receiver.

Hope some of this helps

OP
ChrisN

ChrisN

FNG
Thanks much. I understand removing the hammer from the receiver as you describe. Do you go further cleaning the hammer itself by dismantling the knurled knob, spring, secondary safety? The screw I was asking about is an allen headed part going into the back of the hammer through the secondary safety.

Thanks much. I understand removing the hammer from the receiver as you describe. Do you go further cleaning the hammer itself by dismantling the knurled knob, spring, secondary safety? The screw I was asking about is an allen headed part going into the back of the hammer through the secondary safety.

You can take it down further if you choose but most often it is not necessary. To take it down further use an Allan wrench and remove the set inside the Secondary Safety. Most like the screw has been set with some form of Lok-Tite - so the first time you try to remove the screw it will take extra force the start it loosening.

OP
ChrisN

ChrisN

FNG
Thanks again for your help. I wanted to confirm that's a screw that can be loosened and not something different that will break if I turn it. I'm glad you replied Sabotloader, I've studied a lot of your posts and replies and they're sure helpful.

I’ve owned several knight guns since the 90’s.
I’ve never taken any of my hammer assembly apart.

OP
ChrisN

ChrisN

FNG
I gather it's enough to soak or blow out the hammer with a cleaner. I couldn't get the retaining screw out just holding the hammer, it would take a vise and wrench and heat and still might break or strip, feels like.

I just got the rifle the other day from Knight. It's set up for plastic jackets and I picked up a breech plug and nipple for caps too. I have a pile of .429 and .452 cast and jacketed bullets. A bottle of 777 and one of Pyrodex. I'm standing by to see results of my NM apps for deer, elk, and antelope...