Knight Ultra Lite Issues

Hey guys, lurked around a bit but now making my first post since I have some relevance...

I just got a new Ultra Lite with a Leupold VX3i on it last week for a late season Ohio ML hunt but am having a terrible time with inaccuracy, so much so I cannot even get it sighted in. I will be on my 3rd range session shortly and want to see if you guys have any advice for what is going on and anything that could possibly help.

First Range Session:
Shot Triple 7 pellets (2 for 100 grains) and Barnes 250 grain bullets... All over the place but at least within a 6 inch variance. I was NOT cleaning it between shots and it eventually got to the point I was unable to push the bullet down due to so mcuh fouling. Packed up and went home to do a full clean

Second Range Session:
Shot both Blackhorn (Wanted to see if it would fire, I know they are having ignition issues with Ultra Lite and 209 but my gun fired so appears that I got lucky!) and triple seven powder, 110 grains with Barnes 250 grain bullets. ALL OVER THE PLACE to the point I was completely missing paper. In this session I was cleaning after each shot with a wet patch and then running an additional patch to dry it, so cleaning barrel post each shot but leaving some fouling. After missing the paper I got frustrated and switched to 300 grain Horandy SSTs which did quite a bit better than the Barnes as they at least all hit paper, but it was nothing consistent enough that I could make rational adjustments for a good zero.

Just to make sure it wasn't the nut behind the gun I got out my 7 mag and put a beautiful 5 shot set down range at 200 yards. I'm not the best shot in the world, but I am not a cluprit of missing the paper every other round.

Time is running out before my hunt, can you guys help!?

Woodsboss

FNG
The traditional line of thinking with finding the right load for your muzzle loader is, start with the same amount of power as the caliber and work up in 5 gr increments until you start to see a consistent group. I'm guessing you don't need to start at 45/50 but somewhere substantially below what you're at. For example I shoot a 50 cal. Knight Disk Extreme with 100 gr. of Triple 7 FFF with a 440 gr Parker Hydro Con. I get consistent groups out to one hundred yards with a peep sight. You might try taking the scope off, shoot open sights at say 25 yds until you get a consistent group and then start adding distance eventually putting on the scope. Make sure your barrel is properly seated in the stock and the lug bolt is tight. Good luck.

Hey guys, lurked around a bit but now making my first post since I have some relevance...

I just got a new Ultra Lite with a Leupold VX3i on it last week for a late season Ohio ML hunt but am having a terrible time with inaccuracy, so much so I cannot even get it sighted in. I will be on my 3rd range session shortly and want to see if you guys have any advice for what is going on and anything that could possibly help.

First Range Session:
Shot Triple 7 pellets (2 for 100 grains) and Barnes 250 grain bullets... All over the place but at least within a 6 inch variance. I was NOT cleaning it between shots and it eventually got to the point I was unable to push the bullet down due to so mcuh fouling. Packed up and went home to do a full clean

Even though I hate pellets there really isn't much of a reason that you could not get some accuracy from the rifle - UNLESS

And there a few things that I would check/ask

Did you clean the rifle thoroughly before shooting?

What yardage were you shooting?

Which bullet and sabot?

Shooting T7 either pellets or loose powder most will need to run a slightly damp patch after each shot especially with a new rifle.

On the clean barrel when loading the sabot/bullet - how much pressure did it take to get the load down the barrel?

Second Range Session:
Shot both Blackhorn (Wanted to see if it would fire, I know they are having ignition issues with Ultra Lite and 209 but my gun fired so appears that I got lucky!)

The Ultra Lite comes with a breech plug designed to shoot BH209 and in most instances the best primer you can use for the ULite is the longer Winchester W209. You will need to clean the 'flash channel' of the BP after each range session. It will eventually fill up with a hard carbon substance.

and triple seven powder, 110 grains with Barnes 250 grain bullets. ALL OVER THE PLACE to the point I was completely missing paper. In this session I was cleaning after each shot with a wet patch and then running an additional patch to dry it, so cleaning barrel post each shot but leaving some fouling. After missing the paper I got frustrated and switched to 300 grain Horandy SSTs which did quite a bit better than the Barnes as they at least all hit paper, but it was nothing consistent enough that I could make rational adjustments for a good zero.

It really sounds to me like you have a scope or scope mount problem. Take the scope off and make sure the scope mounts are tight! Personally I would remove the screws and re-install them with the addition of blue LOK-TITE. Then do the same thing with the scope mount screws.

Then I would suggest you return to the range and shoot a 25 yard target to get a good zero at 25. If it will not zero at 25 no use going any further. And there is still a possibility that the internals of the scope are bad/loose

Just to make sure it wasn't the nut behind the gun I got out my 7 mag and put a beautiful 5 shot set down range at 200 yards. I'm not the best shot in the world, but I am not a cluprit of missing the paper every other round.

Time is running out before my hunt, can you guys help!?

Hope some of this might help and most importantly help in time to get you in the field.

tdhanses

WKR
Why do guys keep saying BH209 has trouble in the knights? Had my Ultralight for 3+ years and have only ever shot BH209 out of it, not a single issue and usually shoot 20 - 30 shots at each range session without cleaning.