Knight Ultralight firing pin/bolt assembly

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
After a recent range session I disassembled my bolt assembly, removing the firing pin. While re-assembling the bolt with the firing pin I somehow released the tension within the spring. I was able to tighten it back down and get it re-assembled but now after my last range visit I was having frequent mis-fires and it appeared the firing pin was not striking the primer. My question is, after re-assembling the firing pin in to the bolt handle, how many turns back to alight the nipple in to the indentation on the bolt handle? The Knight video only shows a half turn back or so which was not working for me.

It is very well possible that the hammer assembly is screwed into the bolt to far.

Tighten the secondary safety up till it stops turning.

Insert the hammer assembly into the bolt and turn it in as far as it will go. If the assembly goes beyond the set location - then go go back to set and release the tension. If it goes by the set point point with a lesser amount turn the hammer assembly back to the set point then go one full turn around again. Then release the secondary safety.

The key to this making sure that the secondary safety is turned all the WAY in.

BoltAlignment2.jpg

OP
C

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I think that is exactly what I did, screwed the hammer assembly too far in to the bolt. I came back a half turn to the set position and then a turn and a half to the set position with a little better results but still not firing every time. Would turning back two and a half turns to the set position be too much? I hope this makes sense and really appreciate the help

I think that is exactly what I did, screwed the hammer assembly too far in to the bolt. I came back a half turn to the set position and then a turn and a half to the set position with a little better results but still not firing every time. Would turning back two and a half turns to the set position be too much? I hope this makes sense and really appreciate the help

No I do not think it would help to go back the second turn.

Try this with the with the turn and half - place the bolt back into the rifle. Cycle the bolt closed and pull the as you are closing the bolt. This should release the hammer and it now should be stick out of the nose of the bolt. If you have a primer adapter you might have to take it out to see the hammer.

This picture shows the 'normal' hammer extension out of the face of the bolt.

boltcomposite.jpg

Is this what you are seeing?

OP
C

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
No I do not think it would help to go back the second turn.

Try this with the with the turn and half - place the bolt back into the rifle. Cycle the bolt closed and pull the as you are closing the bolt. This should release the hammer and it now should be stick out of the nose of the bolt. If you have a primer adapter you might have to take it out to see the hammer.

This picture shows the 'normal' hammer extension out of the face of the bolt.

boltcomposite.jpg

Is this what you are seeing?
Thank you Sabotloader. I’m at work until Thursday but will try this as soon as I can. I’ll report back. I leave for CO in a week and the timing of this issue couldn’t be worse. I hate not having confidence in my equipment

Thank you Sabotloader. I’m at work until Thursday but will try this as soon as I can. I’ll report back. I leave for CO in a week and the timing of this issue couldn’t be worse. I hate not having confidence in my equipment

Well that answers another question I had... which ignition system were you using. So now I am assuming bare 209?

When the rifle misfires - have you popped the primer out and checked to see what type of impression if any is on the head of the primer?

I am some what concerned the pin is not coming through the nose of the primer far enough....

sending you a PM

mike

OP
C

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Yes sir, bare 209. I have checked them after some of the mis-fires and on some there wasn’t any sign of the hammer striking the primer. On others there appeared to be a small mark. Backing the firing pin assembly a turn and a half back did result in less misfires, but it still wasn’t 100%

I would suggest the next possible problem is breech plug may be to short. In other words the primer stack is not close enough to the face of the bolt. Knight can and will solve that problem for you, If you can contact them tell them your problem and they will have you send it back.

Sending you a PM...

mike

tracker12

WKR

I had the same problem. Operator error. Sabotloader helped me out also. This YouTube video was also very helpful.