Knight UltraLite .45 with No Excuses 385g

bbrown

WKR
Helping a buddy dial in his muzzleloader using the NE 385g bullets, Blackhorn 209, and Winchester W209 primers. Curious if anyone has tried this combo (or something similar) and would care to share the load details. We are setting it up for Colorado so no scopes or sabots and hoping to have it dialed in well enough to reach out to 150-200 yards depending on how well he can shoot it at those distances. I'm planning on starting around 70g by volume and working up to 100g checking groups and velocities but wouldn't mind saving some time along with the components if anyone has a proven load we can tinker with.

Also this is the first I have messed with a Knight muzzleloader so if there is any tips or things to avoid I'm all ears. They look bit more complicated than my CVA optima - ha!

KyleR1985

WKR
You've got the right idea. My Disc Extreme .50 loved 70g of Triple 7 FFG with 460gr NE's. I could shoot 3" groups at 100 yards off the bench. I'd have to have absolute perfect conditions to shoot 150 yards - good lighting, feeding or bedded animal, exact range, perfect rest setup, etc. 100 yards is a poke with open sights in low light conditions with a live target. Maybe temper expectations there.

The gun should be really accurate once you get powder load and speed it likes.

I would add one thing remember that you can shoot full bore lead conicals as fast as other bullets. The will cause leading in the bore.

Another thought you might want to use a wad of some sort under the bullet between the powder. The heat that BH creats will melt the bottom of the bullet stringing lead up the bore.

Might take a look at this thread for some thoughts and suggestions.

Buzby

WKR
NE 385gr, felt wad, 70gr by weight of bh209, cheddite 209 primers. Knight mountaineer in an ultralight stock.

This was my setup for mule deer this year. Worked well for me. I could get good groups out to 100yds. Out to 150, I got paper plate size groups. I was struggling a bit to manage the recoil. Gun was getting pretty jumpy on me. I had a very limited time to get this gun set up. 3 fairly rushed range trip was all I was able to squeeze in. Ended up being able to get a mule deer, with a 90yd shot.

OP
bbrown

bbrown

WKR
Thanks guys! Sorry I should have added I use the OxYoke wads as recommended by No Excuses in my .50 and plan to use them in this rifle as well assuming my buddy ordered them like I asked

OP
bbrown

bbrown

WKR
Settled on 63g (by weight) of BH 209. Dead on at 75, 2” low at 100 and 10” low at 150. Hoping to post some good buck photos after his hunt this next week if all goes to plan