Knight ultralite .50cal performance?

CO2130

WKR
I’m pretty green to muzzleloaders. Been lurking and learning things and have been trying to find a used .45 cal ultralite or one on sale, to no avail. Today my local shop has a .50 cal on sale for $730. My goal is to hunt mule deer and antelope only with this rifle and would like to put a good sight setup on it and reliably be able to hit 6-8” targets to 250 yards or so (no scopes or sabots allowed here in CO). If I jump on this deal am I sacrificing enough to just hold out for a .45? I feel the .45 cal is the way to go for what I want and my uses but curious what more experienced guys think. Also, please give your recommendation without considering .50 cal being required for Co elk. I have no interest in muzzle loader hunting elk here. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
The .50cal ultra lite is an amazing rifle and great value, retail Is $791 for the .50 and $793 for the .45 which is in stock and can be shipped to your door direct from Knight. Make sure you get the Colorado model for either, the Colorado is 209 ready just with iron sight mounts.

While you say no interest for elk that may change once you get one but no reason to not have 2.

Last edited:

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
The .50cal ultra lite is an amazing rifle and great value, retail Is $791 for the .50 and $793 for the .45 which is in stock and can be shipped to your door direct from Knight. Make sure you get the Colorado model for either, the Colorado is 209 ready just with iron sight mounts.

While you say no interest for elk that may change once you get one but no reason to not have 2.

iron sights and drilled and tapped for a scope to help with load dev. Patiently waiting on my UL 50 colorado version.

OP
CO2130

CO2130

WKR
Well i guess i should’ve checked the price from knight instead of going off sportsmans retail price. For $60 I’ll definitely just continue looking for a used 45 and buy a new one in a few months if I have no luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long range hunting with open sights can be problematic, as accuracy can be range limited. It's one thing to shoot accurately at 250 yards with a scope, where you have full view of a magnified target and a precision aiming reticle. But it's a whole different ball game with open sights. At anything beyond about 100 yds your front sight will be covering the entire target, making precision aiming all but impossible. Even if you "sight in" your open sights at longer range, trying to hold precisely on the vitals of a deer at 250 yds is extremely difficult (a huge aiming reticle on a tiny target).

You can convert your open sights to something like a rear peep and front globe with a precision insert. This gives much better aiming precision due to at least allowing a full view of the target and having a finer aiming point. The drawbacks are they perform very poorly in low light conditions, and the cost is over $100 for the parts to upgrade.

Wojo14

WKR
I too am looking into a Knight Ultra little 50 cal for spring spot and stalk bear and late season Mule deer. I am just now getting into MLers.

Couple questions I have.
1) how important is the jacketed primer option?
2) i have read the 50cal UL kicks hard. True?

I plan to use BH209 and 209a primers. As I have a lot.

SORRY to High jack the thread!

~Wojo

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
I too am looking into a Knight Ultra little 50 cal for spring spot and stalk bear and late season Mule deer. I am just now getting into MLers.

Couple questions I have.
1) how important is the jacketed primer option?
2) i have read the 50cal UL kicks hard. True?

I plan to use BH209 and 209a primers. As I have a lot.

SORRY to High jack the thread!

~Wojo

1 - if you find a killer deal on the jacketed primer option buy it and you can convert to the bare metal easily and fairly cheaply ($30 plus shipping). If you get the factory bare metal then its fine. Below are the links to the parts i bought to convert my plastic jacket to bare metal and it shoots like a champ, ive fired 30 rounds without cleaning the breech plug and had no issues with primers sticking or anything.

2 - Depends on the load, mine is about the same as my 308 with full 120gr BH loads and a thor projectile.

breech plug

Bolt conversion

Wojo14

WKR
1 - if you find a killer deal on the jacketed primer option buy it and you can convert to the bare metal easily and fairly cheaply ($30 plus shipping). If you get the factory bare metal then its fine. Below are the links to the parts i bought to convert my plastic jacket to bare metal and it shoots like a champ, ive fired 30 rounds without cleaning the breech plug and had no issues with primers sticking or anything.

2 - Depends on the load, mine is about the same as my 308 with full 120gr BH loads and a thor projectile.

breech plug

Bolt conversion
Cool.
I was thinking about running Thor Bullets as well. I use them out of my 50g renegade Flint Lock.