Knight Ultralite Muzzleloader with a Miller Muzzle Break

Hey guys I'm starting a thread here in regards to adding muzzle breaks to modern inline muzzleloaders. I am currently working on a project with my Knight Ultra Lite .50 cal and adding a Miller Muzzle break to it. Benchmark barrels is doing the install and this is the first they have done. I will compile some info and share it with everyone here to hopefully benefit from. I will also do some video reviews so everyone can see the finished out gun. I am planning on taking an Alaskan Bull moose with this setup in September. Lets here your opinions on this or experiences.

dotman

WKR
Interesting, never really gave it a thought but why not. I would have to have my from sight mounts moved back to allow for the threads. Definitely interested to see your results on this.

OP
Bearhunter
Benchmark didn't think they would have to move them on the Ultralite. One benefit may also be that the ramrod will probably not be able to vibrate out of stock slot as easily anymore as the clearance of the break will be tight to the rod if that makes any sense... we shall see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
Mine isn't the western version, had to have my gunsmith drill the front mount holes but that said would be easy to move them back to accommodate if I ever did this.

mcr-85

WKR
I had a brake put on my Knight Mountaineer. Its a bad pic but here is my gun. I bought the Harrell's Sabot Muzzle Brake and talked with a guy that builds smokeless competition muzzle loaders about the specs to have the gunsmith turn it down to. I like the brake but it is a bit of a pain to clean. I also got a little funnel with a short piece of hose on it for loading. The brake sits forward of the front sight screws enough that I can use iron sights if I want to. I bought a Spin-Jag ramrod and just got a 1.25" extension if I remember right. If you get the brake put on and then measure, Spin-Jag will make you a ram rod to fit.

Sabot Muzzle Brake

mountaineer.jpg

I expected to draw a muzzleloader tag last year and that didn't happen. I didn't spend a lot of time shooting it last year but it did shoot ok with the brake. I shot sabots, powerbelts and No Excuses out of it and never had a problem.

OP
Bearhunter
Very cool gun! I have been brain storming about what sort of loading device to build for pouring powder in without loosing it out the ports. I was thinking about a custom machined metal funnel of sorts. What sort of range are you getting out of your mountaineer topped with the scope and turret?

mcr-85

WKR
I haven't spent enough time with it to say. I sighted it in and let my sister use it last year but haven't got a load worked up yet to really push it.

The funnel I use is just a cheap one I found on Amazon or ebay and I have a small section of clear hose so it gets passed the ports on the brake.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

OP
Bearhunter
After doing further research I am now worried about the break being compatible with Sabots.... Im worried that the sabot will hang up on the break and cheese grater it. I called Bench Mark to put a hold on it until I finish my research on compatibility... Dammit...

OP
Bearhunter
So I went ahead and had benchmark install a Miller Break, going to give it a try this week. I am keeping my fingers crossed the miller break will not cheese grater the Sabots.. If so I am going to mill out a Harrell's Sabot Muzzle Brake clone with a buddy. Cant wait to try out the gun now!

jm1607

WKR
So I went ahead and had benchmark install a Miller Break, going to give it a try this week. I am keeping my fingers crossed the miller break will not cheese grater the Sabots.. If so I am going to mill out a Harrell's Sabot Muzzle Brake clone with a buddy. Cant wait to try out the gun now!

I bet sabots will work fine.. Will be interested to see what happens though!

Idaho CTD

Lil-Rokslider
I've sold a lot of brakes to guys with muzzleloaders. I run the clearance a little looser then normal rifles in case they are running sabots. Sabots don't peel off the bullet immediately so if you set them a bit loose your generally fine.

mcr-85

WKR
The Harrell's brake didn't do much for mine in my opinion....other than add to the cleaning time. I have a thread protector on it now and the brake sits on the shelf.

ENCORE

WKR
The Harrell's brake didn't do much for mine in my opinion....other than add to the cleaning time. I have a thread protector on it now and the brake sits on the shelf.
Windex with ammonia D. Spray the brake, let it set while you're cleaning the barrel, spray it off again and dry it.

If someone would have told me that a few years back, I'd have told them they were crazy. Eating crow on that now.

Str8shtr

Lil-Rokslider
I'm guessing at typical muzzleloader pressures a brake don't do a whole lot.

mcr-85

WKR
Windex with ammonia D. Spray the brake, let it set while you're cleaning the barrel, spray it off again and dry it.

If someone would have told me that a few years back, I'd have told them they were crazy. Eating crow on that now.
Does that work with Blackhorn 209 as well? I got to where I was putting it in a little bottle of hoppes #9. I'd let it soak and then shake it around a little and wipe it down. But I didn't notice a big difference having the brake on so I just keep it off.

ENCORE

WKR
Does that work with Blackhorn 209 as well? I got to where I was putting it in a little bottle of hoppes #9. I'd let it soak and then shake it around a little and wipe it down. But I didn't notice a big difference having the brake on so I just keep it off.
Absolutely it works with BH209. I use it exclusively.
High quality brakes work. I wouldn't want to go back to a radial myself.

Very cool gun! I have been brain storming about what sort of loading device to build for pouring powder in without loosing it out the ports. I was thinking about a custom machined metal funnel of sorts. What sort of range are you getting out of your mountaineer topped with the scope and turret?

Way late and you probably figured something out, but Luke at Arrowhead Rifles makes a funnel specifically for loading with a break.