Knight Ultralite Order Mistake

iHunt*

Lil-Rokslider
Hello, I’m new to the forum but a long time lurker from Western Washington St. Looking to get your take on what you would do in my position.

I recently ordered a Knight Ultralite SS Bare Primer version. Unfortunately I selected the wrong model as this is only drilled and tapped for a scope. I’ve reached out to Knight and am unable to return the rifle for the Western/Colorado version.

So, would you order another barrel with the open sights and sell the scope only barrel?

Find a gunsmith and have the barrel drilled and tapped to accept the front sight voiding the warranty? Knight will not perform this work.

Order the correct rifle and hope you can sell this model at not to much of a loss?

Please let me know what you would do in my position. This is my first muzzleloader, so I’m unaware of the resale value on muzzleloaders or there components.

Thank you

Last edited:
Prob take at least $100 hickey for a “used” NIB gun. Just depends if the right person needs one.

If the gun is EXACTLY the same as the open sight rifle (not a greater drop in the stock for the ones designed for open sights?) I think I would slap a scope on it to be sure it would shoot. If it does, drill and put open sights on it.

Number one! I am not sure who you talked to at Knight, but I would suggest that send an email to Justin at Knight, using the email address on the site. But be sure to address it to Justin. He may have you send the current rifle back and he will drill and tap it for you.

At this time because of COVID the phone lines are not being maned!

Two, if that fails I would suggest you find a a good gun smith to drill and tap for you. Because of the heavy contour of the barrel the holes for the front sight can not be drilled as deep as normal.

Good luck!

CorbLand

WKR
Get yourself some plumbers tape and just cinch a front sight on there. It will be fine.

Sarcasm aside. It would probably cost you similar to have a smith drill and tap it as the loss you will take selling it. I would try shooting it first to make sure it shoots before putting more money into it though.

OP
iHunt*

iHunt*

Lil-Rokslider
Number one! I am not sure who you talked to at Knight, but I would suggest that send an email to Justin at Knight, using the email address on the site. But be sure to address it to Justin. He may have you send the current rifle back and he will drill and tap it for you.

At this time because of COVID the phone lines are not being maned!

Two, if that fails I would suggest you find a a good gun smith to drill and tap for you. Because of the heavy contour of the barrel the holes for the front sight can not be drilled as deep as normal.

Good luck!
I’ve been in contact with Justin and he stated they don’t perform that work. I even reached outed to Green Mountain barrel and they advised a gun smith.

OP
iHunt*

iHunt*

Lil-Rokslider
I greatly appreciate everyone’s response. Their Cerakote option is looking more appealing as well, I may just bite the bullet and order another rifle. At least I won’t void the warranty that way.

Hairhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I greatly appreciate everyone’s response. Their Cerakote option is looking more appealing as well, I may just bite the bullet and order another rifle. At least I won’t void the warranty that way.
I bought the same rifle, because it was cheaper. I agonized over how to get the 2 front sight ramp holes tapped. Stories on the internet about how no gunsmiths would do it,barrel to thin.
Horse shit.you have to be careful,but I did mine myself.Any good Gunsmith will not be scared. Put a Williams ramp on it.Sabot loader will tell you the correct one

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
surprising to hear that they were so unwilling to help you out. I mean I get the no returns thing but they wont help you with a barrel or rebarrel. Seems a bit heavy handed.

OP
iHunt*

iHunt*

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, a replacement barrel at a discount was offered but still steep at $240 before shipping.

OP
iHunt*

iHunt*

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up just biting the bullet and ordering the Colorado version. So at some point next month, I will be listing this rifle for sale.

Again, I truly appreciate everyone’s comments. I was definitely concerned with having a gunsmith work on the barrel before shooting it.

iHunt - just heard the Nitride finish is back on at Knight - Hurry

1-19-Knight-Ulite-Nitride.jpg

Far better than the Cerakote finish.

I am also from Washington saw that they are considering allowing a 1x scope for this next year. Might want to wait unless your set on open sights.

OP
iHunt*

iHunt*

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the info, unfortunately I already placed my order for the Colorado version. Guess it will make my resell easier if it gets approved.

iHunt - just heard the Nitride finish is back on at Knight - Hurry

1-19-Knight-Ulite-Nitride.jpg

Far better than the Cerakote finish.
I placed my order just before the nitride was made available again, I am very interested to see if I end up with a cerakote or nitride version. I emailed Justin hoping to at least let them know i would be a very happy customer if a nitride ultra-lite arrived in a few weeks.

I placed my order just before the nitride was made available again, I am very interested to see if I end up with a cerakote or nitride version. I emailed Justin hoping to at least let them know i would be a very happy customer if a nitride ultra-lite arrived in a few weeks.
Talking to Justin really can work - be sure to follow up with him if you do not hear anything back! He has a ton of irons in the fire. don't be afraid to touch base with him again.

FrontierGander

Lil-Rokslider
If anything, have it drilled/tapped. I see no reason why they couldnt just exchange it for you.

Last edited: