Knight Western ULite in the Pit

Well I finally got time to test shoot the Barnes bullet that I cut knurls in to increase the diameter of the bullet to fit my rifle. So this morning I drove out to the Rock Pit and setup for a good morning of shooting. And when it was over it was a good morning of shooting.

Got to the pit and got everything setup. When I started shooting I chose to shoot the Lehigh .458x275 in an Orange .457/.458x50 sabot to confirm that the rifle was sighted in. The first two shots at the Clays verified the rifle was sighted in.

Some of you might remember a couple of weeks ago I took a handful of Barnes 50x275 MZ Expanders and using a tubing cutter and an Allen wrench and cut knurling lines in the bullet to increase the diameter of the bullet to fit the bore on my Western ULite.

This picture shows the knurling operation in progress.

Barnes-50-275-MZ.jpg

Todays shooting was to verify the fit and accuracy of the bullet. It was a good day!

20-7-7_Shoot_pg1.jpg

20-7-7_Shoot_pg2.jpg

The last two shots of the morning really produced a feel good moment. I found a Clay chip from a previous visit on the rock wall and decided to go after it. My rifle is sighted in to shoot 2.97" , well three inches high at 100. Knowing that I tried to hold the bead under the chip approximately 3" under the chip. My first shot was high - I missed. Loaded up again and held slightly lower and took the shot. Chip left the wall.

Now I really wish I could use them during ML season here, but I will be able to use in our regular rifle season.

Last edited: