Knik Alaska Goat tips

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a last minute RG890 Goat tag for Knik Alaska Area, friday creek, Metal creek etc etc. I went out saturday, glassed friday creek and metal creek and all the mountain faces pretty well and saw about 150 Sheep, but thats it, no Goats. We have an early snowfall this year it seems and the snow is deep on the mountains so that kinda squashed a lot of my hiking plans to get way up top. I guess Im just not geared up probably, No snowshoes or Crampons, so I guess hiking up through feet of snow is out. I realize that may be whats required if I really want a goat, but I was wondering if anyones had success finding some Goats down low, does deep snow push them down very far or do they literally thrive in the steep and deep all winter?. Id like to go out again this weekend. i guess I should include that I will be on ATV and on foot, Planes and a drop off are not in the cards right now. This is my very first attempt at Goat hunting so I'm in a new world here. Thanks for any advice.

I found three Billy's down low this past weekend, in the Chugach. Brought one home in a backpack. Snow will push them down and I've found they tend to hang out right at snow line, maybe a touch above it....then come down to feed. That's my experience anyhow.

Also, if you are finding sheep, you likely are not looking in the right place as far as goats. They generally won't be in the same area, but there are exceptions to that rule.

OP
L

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
Nick, That was one of the questions I had, do Goats and Sheep co-exist in the same area?. my "Guess" was probably not BUT they could of coarse cross paths eventually. I guess I'll go back out again and just keep glassing the drainage's etc and hope to catch one down low or at snowline like you were able to do. Congrats on your Goat BTW, thats awesome.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
Have you looked above Maud road range? Everytime I’ve been out there I’ve seen goats on the cliff face about 700 yards behind the 100 yard range.

OP
L

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
Have you looked above Maud road range? Everytime I’ve been out there I’ve seen goats on the cliff face about 700 yards behind the 100 yard range.

I was glassing up behind the range from Jim Creek and all I could see were Sheep. I have heard reports of Goats up there also and I may go saturda morning and take another looksie

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a burly tag to fill now that the "bridge" is washed out to cross Metal Creek. There's goats between Metal and Grasshopper on the visible face (from Knik) but getting across Glacier Fork or Metal is the challenge. There's lots of goats in the area, access is the challenge.

OP
L

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
That's a burly tag to fill now that the "bridge" is washed out to cross Metal Creek. There's goats between Metal and Grasshopper on the visible face (from Knik) but getting across Glacier Fork or Metal is the challenge. There's lots of goats in the area, access is the challenge.

Thanks Slide, I'll take a look at that crossing this weekend when I head back out