Knives & Bone Saws

Sherman

WKR
Noob here. I could spend hours scouring the interwebs or I can ask you fine gentlemen.

Need to know what I need (brand/model) to skin/field dress/quarter/etc deer and elk on backpacking hunts. Replaceable blades? Non-replaceable with lightweight sharpening kits?

Preferably around the $100 price point.

Being new to all of this, I am racking up a lot in initial buys, but it will pale in comparison to the cost of a divorce if my wife catches on to how much I’m spending.

Thanks in advance.

TrueAt1stLight

Lil-Rokslider
In my opinion, the ESSE 3 or 4 with the “3D scales” in S35VN (ultralight performance) steel is the absolute reining bargain. Not the lightest out there (although the 3 is pretty trim) but absolutely bulletproof in terms of performance. Really any knife will do though and the selection of a knife is like the choice on a pickup truck or brand of camo: SO MANY different choices!

***NOTE: do NOT buy ESEE knives on Amazon! There are TONS of knock-offs that are cloned to look just like a real one!***

OP
Sherman

Sherman

WKR
In my opinion, the ESSE 3 or 4 with the “3D scales” in S35VN (ultralight performance) steel is the absolute reining bargain. Not the lightest out there (although the 3 is pretty trim) but absolutely bulletproof in terms of performance. Really any knife will do though and the selection of a knife is like the choice on a pickup truck or brand of camo: SO MANY different choices!

***NOTE: do NOT buy ESEE knives on Amazon! There are TONS of knock-offs that are cloned to look just like a real one!***
How often should I plan on having to sharpen one of these. After every kill? Mid quartering? Will an edge last multiple animals?

TrueAt1stLight

Lil-Rokslider
That steel is really high-performance and I did multiple animals before sharpening. The edge is not as chip-resistant as ESEE’s other steels but edge-retention is among the best there is.

OP
Sherman

Sherman

WKR
That steel is really high-performance and I did multiple animals before sharpening. The edge is not as chip-resistant as ESEE’s other steels but edge-retention is among the best there is.
Am I safe to assume I would not have to take in a sharpening kit for 1-2 deer/elk?

TrueAt1stLight

Lil-Rokslider
Last edited:

Mosby

WKR
A Cutco serrated blade knife is great on Elk and cuts a deer brisket like butter. Ugly knife and not the best steel but it simply works really well on the thick hide and skinning. Can be had for about $85 when you catch a sale and they resharpen for free. I used to get them at an outdoor show for cheap and have two of them.

I have replaceable blade knives and keep one in my bag but personally do not care for them.

crazydocB

FNG
Noob here. I could spend hours scouring the interwebs or I can ask you fine gentlemen.

Need to know what I need (brand/model) to skin/field dress/quarter/etc deer and elk on backpacking hunts. Replaceable blades? Non-replaceable with lightweight sharpening kits?

Preferably around the $100 price point.

Being new to all of this, I am racking up a lot in initial buys, but it will pale in comparison to the cost of a divorce if my wife catches on to how much I’m spending.

Thanks in advance.
It's bulky and heavy, but this is probably the best kit for every part of processing large game. Outdoor Edge Butcher's kit.

Jimss

WKR
I've hunted sheep, elk, antelope, mtn goat, moose on a fairly regular basis in Wyo, Colo, and Alaska.. I always bring 2 knives (in case I lose one!). The only knife you'll ever need is a Outdoor Edge replacement blade knife. They are about $35 with extra blades. No need for a saw. I bone all my game and also keep the capes on most of them. The same knife is one of the best I've found for skinning capes. I use the same knife for caping turkeys. The blades last pretty long, are a lot stronger than pirantas, and are quick/ easy to switch blades. If you are super cheap I'm pretty sure you can likely sharpen old blades but I just toss them.

WRM

WKR
I like the old Tyto titanium but I think it's been discontinued. Their Finisher looks similar.

For a crazy cheap titanium folder replacement blade see CountyComm. I've got a titanium and a carbon. I think they're like $20.

sndmn11

WKR

MightyMatt

Lil-Rokslider
A $20 Victorinox 5" boning knife is all I've ever needed to completely break down an animal. I have never needed a saw. I skin and bone the entire animal along with process it and usually just touch it up before the next hunt or animal. I picked up a leather sheath from a gun show to carry it in. This and game bags are all you really need.
1630814198743.png

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
You don't need a saw to quarter an animal.

That being said I have a wyoming saw for when I'm truck hunting and get lazy.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
A $20 Victorinox 5" boning knife is all I've ever needed to completely break down an animal. I have never needed a saw. I skin and bone the entire animal along with process it and usually just touch it up before the next hunt or animal. I picked up a leather sheath from a gun show to carry it in. This and game bags are all you really need.
View attachment 323667

Found one of these in the turkey woods. Heck of a blade. For sure all you need. Now want? Want is a different story.

Get yourself a replaceable blade knife and fixed blade boning knife.

The replaceable blade knives are too easy and too sharp to not use one. A fresh blade on one of those is like cutting with a laser. They are just scary sharp and you really need to exercise caution.

At home, it's nice to have a longer knife with just a little flex to break quarters down into freezer sized packages.

I don't carry a saw often but have used them to split briskets and pelvis in the past. I don't often gut animals anymore so splitting is irrelevant. The saw can be handy for skull-capping though.