Knives & Bone Saws

OP
Sherman

Sherman

WKR
Thanks for all your suggestions. I ended up getting the Outdoor Edge folding knife/saw combo. Stays compact in its sheath and came with extra knife blades. Those things are surgical. Got it on sale at my local Murdoch’s for $50. 23AB98C4-1EDE-4E9A-8759-FEBC07DEE4C8.jpeg

mcseal2

WKR
I've hunted sheep, elk, antelope, mtn goat, moose on a fairly regular basis in Wyo, Colo, and Alaska.. I always bring 2 knives (in case I lose one!). The only knife you'll ever need is a Outdoor Edge replacement blade knife. They are about $35 with extra blades. No need for a saw. I bone all my game and also keep the capes on most of them. The same knife is one of the best I've found for skinning capes. I use the same knife for caping turkeys. The blades last pretty long, are a lot stronger than pirantas, and are quick/ easy to switch blades. If you are super cheap I'm pretty sure you can likely sharpen old blades but I just toss them.

You can resharpen them. I keep one in our feed truck. At the peak of feeding we will cut net wrap on 30+ bales a day. I keep an old kitchen steel in the truck too to touch it up a couple times a week. Only go through a couple blades a winter.

I gut and break down with a havalon backed by a 4” fixed Ladd that rarely gets used. I will also use the saw on my leatherman to open a rib cage or a pelvis every now and then.

+1 for those victornix boning knives. I did a big knife upgrade for my home butchering kit and bought a mix of wusthoff and victornix knives in all shapes and sizing from little dinky detail blades to 15” scimitar breaking knives. 2 seasons later I have used the $20 Victornix boning knives for 90% of my work on 4-5 animals. I had two and added 2 more so I can always have one razor sharp at hand.

A $20 Victorinox 5" boning knife is all I've ever needed to completely break down an animal. I have never needed a saw. I skin and bone the entire animal along with process it and usually just touch it up before the next hunt or animal. I picked up a leather sheath from a gun show to carry it in. This and game bags are all you really need.
View attachment 323667
Was waiting to see a recommendation for the victorinox. Except I use the $6 paring knife. Been a taxidermist for many years and thats what I use in the shop for fleshing skins so one day about 10 years ago I took one out elk hunting. I can skin and debone an entire elk with one knife with no sharpener. I still take a small diamond sharpener with me incase I get too crazy on the joints or hit too much hair.