knives for moose

Maverick1

WKR
Used a Kestrel Mountain Caper, all of 22 grams, with a 2 ¾” blade. Worked great on my cow moose.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
What about near the base of a tree, insert it into the ground, and the step the blunt end of the blade driving it down deep into the ground? Wouldn’t that be a safe way to dispose?

I know guys who do it, I sort of have a feeling that the majority of people who use havalons do that sort of thing.

This ulu has been in our family for many decades, I can remember Mom cutting up moose and caribou quarters on the kitchen table (we would cover the table with a sheet of plywood) back in the 60s. When my Mom passed in 2013, I told my sisters and brother it was the only thing I wanted...the handle is ivory and is shaped like a polar bear, not sure if that's discernible in the photo.

I take it on my 40 Mile moose/caribou hunts now. Although it would work great for doing what Troutbum is doing, I use it to trim the fat and sinew pieces from quarters and other cuts after we haul the meat back to camp. I don't want to possibly misplace it out in the field.
You have great memories with that ulu

Dorny

FNG
We used 2 knives. A longer fixed Buck from my grandpa was great for getting through thick hide and using the long blade as leverage through hide, etc. most of the field cutting was done with a couple havalons for 3 guys. IMG_5077.JPG

mooster

WKR
I used the Outdoor Edge small 3.5" cutting the hide from underneath, and 5" boning/filet knives on the meat itself. Nice and lightweight. Bonus is the 5" filet knife is great for fishing caught during the hunt.

Last edited:

ColeyG

WKR
I like the Havalon and if weight and space are critical, like on a sheep hunt, that is the only knife I'll bring.

If I can afford another 2 ounces in my pack, I'll bring a Victorinox 3.5" paring knife and super small sharpener. I've broken down several moose using this knife alone. They are worth way more than the $7 I pay for them. I like the red or orange handles as they are easy to find in your gear or the weeds. The serrated version is nice for working on skulls and burlier jobs. A few years ago I bought 10-12 of them and give them away as gifts to new hunters, friends, etc. that I see lugging heavy knives around.

A well made knife is a work of art and I love beautiful blades as much as anyone, but most of my hunts are out of a backpack and function is waaaay more important than form for me more often than not. I have yet to find a better, cheaper tool for the job.

mooster

WKR
for skull work these weigh nothing and are awesome...

Attachments

• mini scraper.jpg
    mini scraper.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
Same as twincedar. Outdoor edge with 3.5” and 5” blades. I also carry a bench made Crooked River

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was following behind one of my groups about 5 years ago and found their kill site. Apparently one of the hunters did exactly what you described. I was clearing the kill site and found a small 6-foot spruce nearby that had been uprooted by a griz. Along with two blades in the dug up pilings there was a pretty easy to track bloodtrail headed away over sandy gravel and into the willows. I followed the bloodtrail twenty or thirty feet and found a third blade. The bear must have smelled the blood or fat on the blades and dug them up (sounds crazy with a fresh carcass nearby). Apparently one of the blades jabbed into a foot and fell out nearby as it ran away. The blood trail petered out within a few feet so i was left wondering what the heck happened.

I repack my used blades into the opened blade pouch and discard all of them back home.

OP
C

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up buying the razor pro and I'm excited to see how the zip blade works! Have you ever needed to sharpen it?
Yeup, I like a changeable blade - the outdoor edge razor pro for moose. You can zip the hide from the base of the skull to the tail in seconds with the gut hook. I use about 6 blades per moose; I grew up in the family butcher shop so anything other than razor sharp drives me nuts and I toss.

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
When combined with the Havalon bone saw, you have a pretty formidable kit!

Attachments

• IMG_20201221_125714006.jpg
    IMG_20201221_125714006.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 18
What about near the base of a tree, insert it into the ground, and the step the blunt end of the blade driving it down deep into the ground? Wouldn’t that be a safe way to dispose?

In my mind and opinion, there’s no difference in leaving trash and leaving blades.

Done right, used/broken blades can and should be packed out safely.

In my mind and opinion, there’s no difference in leaving trash and leaving blades.

Done right, used/broken blades can and should be packed out safely.
Exactly. I carry my havalon with no blade in it. I use a fresh blade, and when it's dull, or the cutting is done, it goes back into the foil pouch, next to the rest of the fresh blades. Pretty simple and no risk in someone grabbing it and ruining their hunt.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
While I use my havalon for a lot of the work with moose, I find I still like a fixed blade for the initial cuts through the hide along the back. For this I've used a KOA pronghorn hunter, it holds an edge really well and I can put a lot of pressure on the handle. If i'm not real limited on what I can take, I'll also pack an ulu. Even though I can and have cut the front and hind quarters off of moose with a havalon, I find it's just easier with a filet knife of some sort. I've been using a KOA steelheader for the last couple of years on the quarters. There have been a few times where I've had clients who decided to take a 3 hr walk while I've been butchering their moose, and those times I've been glad I had the extra length of the steelheader. If I'm packing really light I'll limit myself to my havalon and my steelheader.

Mosby

WKR
I have a Havalon and the Gerber version, which I prefer because it is easier to change out the blades. I keep using them but I still don't like them. I have found a Cutco serrated knife to be great on large animals.

PA Hunter

WKR
I like the Outdoor Edge replaceable blade knives I have the regular and newer larger one. It is so nice to pop a new blade on there. The larger size you can use different size blades on so that is a plus. I have custom hunting knives in the hundreds of dollars but these cheap replaceable knives always go with me.

What are folks using for removing ribs in a bone-in unit? hatchet or saw?

Anyone eating moose ribs over a fire?