Knives... For the Kitchen

I am wanting to upgrade my kitchen knives but don’t know where to start. I know that i could just jump in the car and go down to any department store and pick out a new knife block kit but I’m looking for something more personal this time around and might purchase knives individually. Anyone have any good brands they recommend? What type of knives are absolute must haves? Anything else i need to consider?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
When I was part owner of a sports bar in the early 1980's I bought some 4 star Henckel knives. An 8 in chefs knife a 9 in roast beef knife, boning and pairing knives and a bread knife. They are great high end knives and although very expensive in the 80's a great warranty. A couple of years ago my roast beef knife developed a crack in the handle. I sent it back and the only question was, we don't make the 9 in any more. Do you want an 8 in or a 10 in? They sent me a brand new knife no questions asked more than 30 years after I bought the knife. They're well balanced and hold an edge well. I'm sure today there are a great many more choices and an internet to find them all. Good luck in your search.
9d14433e6bb5d06e0bf2876f147fa128.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Graves14

WKR
I have some nice kitchen knives from Wustof, Henckels, and Cutco. Of the three, I am astounded by how sharp the Cutco knives have been and how long they stay sharp without being touched up.

I really like them.

K-22

FNG
I am wanting to upgrade my kitchen knives but don’t know where to start. I know that i could just jump in the car and go down to any department store and pick out a new knife block kit but I’m looking for something more personal this time around and might purchase knives individually. Anyone have any good brands they recommend? What type of knives are absolute must haves? Anything else i need to consider?

First, you need to assess your needs, and how you use your knives.
I would suggest you speak with/or watch some videos of people with knife skills first.
Take a look at Knife Merchants web site. (Located in San Diego)
You will learn a lot.
Good knives, are a lifetime investment, and a joy to use.
Best,
Gary

Broomd

WKR
Last year, my wife and I bought a nightstand from a very affluent couple in Couerdalene. They were selling the wife's mom's estate.
Before we left with the nightstand, I saw a huge counter full of high end knives which were also part of the estate.
I bought them all for almost nothing, and damn are those great blades/handles! I had no idea at the time just how good that purchase was.

Keep an eye out at garage sales/estate sales. Sometimes kitchen knives fly under the radar.

sndmn11

WKR
Since I am a fanatic, I have Spydercos. It might be a less expensive way to get into some Murray Carter designs. We have found MBS26 to be easy to touch up, which I think is very important in a kitchen knife. My older VG10 models are pretty rad, and I think Super Blue would slice and dice all day long. Don't order off of the Spyderco website though because those prices are the MSRP.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
We've been using several Wusthof knives for almost 25 years. We use them every day, multiple times a day. We have a 10" Chef's, two 8" Chef's, 8" slicing, bread knife, three 3" paring knives, a tomato knife, a 4" paring knife, and eight steak knives.

OP
missjordan
Last year, my wife and I bought a nightstand from a very affluent couple in Couerdalene. They were selling the wife's mom's estate.
Before we left with the nightstand, I saw a huge counter full of high end knives which were also part of the estate.
I bought them all for almost nothing, and damn are those great blades/handles! I had no idea at the time just how good that purchase was.

Keep an eye out at garage sales/estate sales. Sometimes kitchen knives fly under the radar.

I never thought about estate sales. We have some really good auction houses where I’m at so i will start surfing around. Finally got to the point where i got fantastic hunting knives but the kitchen knives are less than stellar and need to do something different. I’m excited for the change!

First, you need to assess your needs, and how you use your knives.
I would suggest you speak with/or watch some videos of people with knife skills first.
Take a look at Knife Merchants web site. (Located in San Diego)
You will learn a lot.
Good knives, are a lifetime investment, and a joy to use.
Best,
Gary

Thank you! I will check them out!

Lots of great recommendations I’m glad i started this thread

Brendan

WKR
I personally like these. Good steel, and a little bit of a unique quality to them that you enjoy every time you look at them. S35VN is a great steel too. More expensive though.

I have two of the chef's knives, no block...

I talked to a guy at the store in Jackson and he was a hunter himself....

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
Miss Jordan...another thing to consider is the overall weight and blade profile between say a Wustof and the Japanese kitchen knives. The Japanese style tend to be lighter and have a much thinner blade profile. Both designs are good but I prefer the Japanese style knives made by MAC. Their 8" and 10" chefs knives are amazing. Excuse me if this has been mentioned but also ALWAYS hand wash your high end kitchen knives. I have countless friends that have ruined thousands of dollars worth of knives by either using them as utility tools or putting them in the dishwasher. Good luck on your quest!

i have 3 i use all the time.
tops frog market special
old hickory butcher
shun santoku
then a mild assortment of wusthof pieces for speciality work.