Knives

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I have read about and tried many knives recommended as the best. However, most did not feel comfortable, were awkward did not hold an edge and never made me happy. I do a fair amount of skinning.

As I do trade on E-bay a lot. I buy vintage knives (some new) to try out. If one of them meets my needs and desire I keep it, if not I sell it for a profit. Many ins and outs of trading like this but you end up with some really good knives at no cost. Just stay away from the so called collectors knife's as they are always over priced.

RoyalJay

FNG
Unless you are regularly trapping for pelts, I don't know what good a real skinning knife would be to a hunter. There's not a ton of options out there from most hunting type brands. It looks like Dexter Russell makes a handful of models, and that's what I would choose. Most of us aren't skinning animals daily, and a regular knife works fine if you are just a little slower and careful not to poke anything with the tip.

A caping knife might be more useful to hunters, but really only if you do your own taxidermy. The fee for a taxidermist to cape off a skull isn't that crazy.

Don't really know about the best boning knife. Again, it isn't like we are racing the clock like a butcher. My Buck Open season does the job just fine for me. Maybe a butcher would hate it 6 hours into the day. At least on this forum, many people sacrifice some function to save weight, so "best" is relative.
I think this is why I like the buck gen5. I have the 3 inch version, dad picked it up at the factory about 10 years ago but fits my hands great and easy to maneuver. Just noticed it is discontinued.

Wrench

WKR
I have a bunch of quality knives from custom to better off the shelf knives....but this is what I call my best. It is in my kit. It's been in more animals than most would believe. I bought it as a gag gift and after we used it....it's all I carry in my kit. This year I have a ZT 452cf in my pocket and this in my kit.

WCB

WKR
I like to work fairly fast at skinning and can't stand small short blade pointed knives. Guys take about 30 strokes to go 12". Absolutely detest replacement blade knives for any sort of actual breakdown through joints.

I prefer an actual skinning knife life a Round Nose Beaver knife or a skinner with a big belly. I use a small 2-2.5 inch capping knife if going to the taxi for the head, eyes, nose, lips. And a 4" Victorinox boning knife for meat.

I used a replaceable blade knife for 2 seasons almost exclusively and since then it get VERY Little use except for capping out a face.

JrCaps

FNG
I have considered a Vic skinner to go with my 6” Vic semi flex. They are cheap, easy to sharpen to a razor, light weight, and durable.
I like unique knives with character or a story, but these just get the job done in the field and at home.
Second this opinion. This is what I use on lamb, steers and all my game.

ridgefire

WKR
I have been using an Outdoor Edge replaceable for separating the legs and neck and a Havalon for skinning and deboning and they have worked great for me. Cheap, lightweight and very sharp blades.

yfarm

WKR
I use a KOA muskrat for skinning, works but not any better or faster than the above mentioned sheep skinner. Is useful for skinning in tight or blind spots. Use a Vic orange handled paring knife for the head also works well for quartering and joints, just can’t use brute force. Helps to understand joint anatomy to separate quickly.

Skinned and deboned an entire mule deer (on the ground) with a "Benchmade Osborne S30V" 2 years ago without hitting the edge not once, I'd say the edge was at about 75% when I was done. I had a "Havalon Piranta" in my pack and never did get it out. Liked the "Benchmade Osborne" so much that I went out and got a "Benchmade Griptilian" (the wife wasn't so enthused about the +-$250 ea. knives), I left that "Griptilian" in the woods somewhere last year and never did find it....................... I guess there's certain things that your wife just doesn't need to know!

Benchmade is the real deal!

NDGuy

WKR
Life is way too short for an ugly knife. Buy and use something sweet...IMG_0921.jpegIMG_2300.jpegIMG_4588.jpegIMG_4705.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0803.jpeg
    IMG_0803.jpeg
    457.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1597.jpeg
    IMG_1597.jpeg
    519.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4590.jpeg
    IMG_4590.jpeg
    486.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4589.jpeg
    IMG_4589.jpeg