Knot for ending lock stitch?

Just bought a Speedy Sticher (great tool) and I'm using it it to make a Frankenpack combining parts from three broken/unused packs. Thanks for the tips and inspiration on this forum.

Anyway, my question is: what's the best knot for tying off the heavy waxed thread that comes with the Speedy Stitcher? The knot from the instruction manual doesn't seem very positive. Anyone ever superglue their knots?

Sorry--probably dumb questions. New to this.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Use the knot they recommended. I wouldn't use superglue. I would melt the thread before I did anything else. Figure out how to hit it with a flame without melting the fabric.

OP
DawnPatrol
Burning the knot seems to work well. The waxed cotton thread melts faster than the synthetic stuff around it. I guess only time will tell how they actually hold up.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Cotton burns. I use a bonded nylon so that is what I was thinking of.

Back stitching has always been helpful to keep threads stitched up.

OP
DawnPatrol
Thanks Bubba and AZ.

I've clearly got a lot to learn...but it's fun figuring it out.

rayporter

WKR
back stitching is the way but it is typically done with the saddle stitch, this uses two needles and each needle goes through the material in opposing directions.

it is usually possible to hide the knot of a speedy stitcher between the layers of material.
use care when backstiching so you dont cut the previous stitch.

OP
DawnPatrol
Thanks for the advice; it's much appreciated!

Fortunately, I'm doing all this now, so I can load up my new/old pack and do some training hikes and see what fails before bear season. By then, maybe I'll know enough to sew it back together right.

JJMoody

FNG
Backstitch then melt thread ( I call it welding to make myself feel cooler) together on the backside with a soldering iron or wood burning tool. Ymmv