Kodiak 12x12 lodge tent

cdare101

FNG
I am going to buy a Kodiak 12x12 lodge tent with stove jack and 8x8 covered awning. Any one have one and give me some input on this set up?

WKR
All their tents are proudly made in China. I was recently looking for a 10x12 tent and was happy to see options from Beckel, Davis, Montana Canvas, all of which were made in America. Perhaps they cost a bit more but I'd be certain their quality would be better.

Just my opinion but wasn't sure if you aware that American made product for that category is readily available. Best of luck.

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
Really hope someone that uses this setup chimes in, I’m also close to hitting buy on the same thing!

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
We have a Davis 16 X 20, yeah it’s huge, that we use as a rental for Glamping. We want to buy a solid tent for elk hunting that is smaller and a cinch for 2 people to put up if weather is cold and inclement. We’ve been camping in our Casita trailer, but can’t get the trailer into all areas and thus end up driving to a lot of trail heads. The Davis tent has been good enough, really good rainfly quality, 10 oz canvas has torn here and there but the patch/repair kits work great!
Considering spike or lodge style so as not to haul longer set up poles. Like the looks of the Montana Canvas spike tent that Midway has. Montana Canvas makes it with 3 different fabrics (currently only the realite is listed on their website, but Walltentshop.com has the choices. Canvas would be the way to go though it’s heavier. Also like the looks and ease of set-up of the Sibley Bell style tents, but not sure which is a solid brand.

Fabulous tent. I have been using a 10x10 for years. Able to set up alone quickly. I added a stove jack (glued on with Seam adhesive and has held well). There are some equivalents out there if you Google Flex Frame tents. Never leaked through thick and thin. Only time I bailed out was an unprotected area with gusts over 60. Tent was hanging in there but maybe not for long1

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
Pros / cons? Have you used it much in varying conditions? Would you do it differently now?

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I bought mine last year and put it up from August-end of October on a clear hill out back. It never leaked once. I'd say the max wind gust was 45-50, during a storm. I also used it at a campground for a week problem free.

My placement on the hill, out back, put it above the trees and in direct wind. The ground was clay. When it rained and got windy in a storm the stakes would work free. I would have to check on the awning as it liked to work free. Once I caught it flapping in the wind. I attribute this to the wet clay that the stakes wouldnt stay put.

Even after leaving it out this long I never had a leak in it. There would be times I would have to go out and push up on the fabric to get pools of water off it. There are no fabric rips or tears.

I set this up and took it down by myself 3 times. The first time was a challenge but after that it wasnt bad. What takes the longest now is pounding stakes tbh.

I havent used a stove in it. I never needed to. The coldest it probably got was in the 20s at night. This is something I look forward to this fall.

I purchased the ground tarp for under it to protect the floor from hard stalks and stuff. The tarp is thicker/coated and worked well. The floor also has a nice thick coating on it.

I had one of the spikes pull out of the plastic in one of the support poles. If I stick the spike through the canvas hole and support it with the stick it still works unless super windy. I have contacted Kodiak twice on the issue. The first time they said there were no parts available (covid). The second time was about a week ago. I am still waiting on them to return my email.

Packing it in the bags is something I suck at, but everything fits in them... Even if i have to ask the wife for her expertise. Pay attention to how it unfolds and to the directions. This will help.

The bags are large and heavy, so its not something i'd be packing in. This November I hope to use it as a elk basecamp.

What else would you like to know?

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the great write up, really appreciate it. I’m looking at your same setup for deer camp / family camping, and sounds like it hits the spot. Have you cooked in the “front room” yet? Wondering if it’s big enough or if it’s more a gear storage area. Thanks again!

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I didnt try to cook in the front room. I could if i wanted to though.

This reminds me. Theres a design issue with the front room zipper. The end ridge pole is directly behind the zipper so its annoying to get in. The zipper is vertical so when you open it the ridge support is right there. I wish the zipper was D shaped to avoid this. Its something more annoying, it doesnt stop you from getting in. Other than the support poles around the outside edge theres nothing in the middle of the front room to get in your way.

If you do get it, how you cook and setup will be up to you. I was thinking of cooking on a woodstove inside then storing wood/ gear in the front room. I still need to get a woodstove to see whats right for me.

The front room does not have a floor, but the main tent does.

Time2fish

Lil-Rokslider
I have the kodiak 12x12, no vestibule, and use a Winnerwell nomad medium in it. Magtech’s review is spot on. I had it setup on the Oregon coast range for all of September, and then another 2 weeks in late October. I then took it east for birds/steelhead in December. The tent handle weather very good. I never had multiple days of really hard rain but definitely took some good storms well. Also had some serious winds and although noisy handled them good.
One thing to note is there are more guy out lines and staking involved in this tent than a standard wall tent. That also means no internal frame, that’s not a big deal but hanging clothes, lights requires a little more thought and effort.
I set it up by myself and is not bad, takes me about 45 minutes.
A big seller on this tent is the windows, having a spot with a view and all the windows open on a sunny afternoon is fantastic.
It’s a great tent for the price, I still get a little jealous of my buddy’s Davis tho.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I really like the Reliable Tent Teton 10x10 for these uses. I have had one for ten years and still use it every year.

However, if you can afford it, a Seek Outside or Kifaru Tipi is more versatile and saves a bunch of weight and bulk.

YMMV

@magtech @Time2fish @jblam wondering if any of you have thrown a tarp over this as a rain fly? I just got this tent and will be using it for hunting season. I’d like to get a tarp to help protect it from sap, sun, and help snow slide off better but not sure what size to get. TIA

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
@magtech @Time2fish @jblam wondering if any of you have thrown a tarp over this as a rain fly? I just got this tent and will be using it for hunting season. I’d like to get a tarp to help protect it from sap, sun, and help snow slide off better but not sure what size to get. TIA
Haven't used a tarp. You'd have to set it up to size one. I've been in mine through a few rainstorms and no leaks.

I only have a few small stains, but I can see how they'd start to annoy you quick.

For you guys that have the 12X12 with and without the awning attachment, how many can you comfortably sleep in it with cots, gear, etc. and a stove without being cramped and having room to move around?