Kodiak 2021 Deer Herd

Heading to south end of the Kodiak this November for a combination Goat/Deer hunt. Heard 2019/2020 winter was pretty tough on the deer herd and was wondering if anyone had any info how this winter has been?

Heading to south end of the Kodiak this November for a combination Goat/Deer hunt. Heard 2019/2020 winter was pretty tough on the deer herd and was wondering if anyone had any info how this winter has been?

Hey Joe, no help on deer numbers but I’ll be in the north end of the island in early October doing a combo hunt as well....so I’m interested in responses.

Have you hunted Kodiak before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J
I have hunter Alaska before for moose in the interior but this will be my first time to Kodiak Island and my
first time hunting mountain goat and sitka deer.

ppwack02

Lil-Rokslider
I've went to Kodiak the last two falls for goat/deer hunts. The number of bucks in 2020 was less than 2019 for sure in the area we hunted. That being said I still managed to get my goat tag filled and one deer each between Three guys. We were there seven days and only saw four bucks. I've got a buddy stationed out there and will ask him about how the winter has been for them. I'll try to post back later today.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
A few of my buddies went last year in Larson bay and said the winter kill was rough on that area. They all commented that the amount of deer seen was far less than years past. I know they were scheduled to go again this year but instead are going to cancel their hunt.

I really want to get to Kodiak for some blacktail hunting but my buddies assessment of last year has made me think of skipping this year as well. They did tell me that some of their other friends hunted a different part of Kodiak and they had lots of deer with no noticeable winter kill in their area.

The winter has been mild. Much better than previous winters. Luckily sitka black-tailed deer commonly produce twins and Kodiak is a great spot because brown bears dont go after fawns like black bears do. Should be better than previous years. Since you're going in November, you will be hunting at lower elevations. Make sure to brush up on your bear safety. Have a safe trip!

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
A few of my buddies went last year in Larson bay and said the winter kill was rough on that area. They all commented that the amount of deer seen was far less than years past. I know they were scheduled to go again this year but instead are going to cancel their hunt.

I really want to get to Kodiak for some blacktail hunting but my buddies assessment of last year has made me think of skipping this year as well. They did tell me that some of their other friends hunted a different part of Kodiak and they had lots of deer with no noticeable winter kill in their area.
I'll echo this statement. We were across the bay over at Zachar Bay, and the hunting was tough. Winter kill in that area had to be in the neighborhood of 60% or even higher. The lodge was great and hospitality and fishing were outstanding and we would like to go back, but it will be a few years before we go to the west end of the island. We found a low area near the beach that had nearly 30 deer skeletons, we found dead deer everywhere and they were nearly all shed bucks. Go to the south end for the next couple of years, they'll come back but it will be a few. We are skipping this year and next and heading back to the Brooks Range for caribou next year.