Kodiak Blacktail '19

OXN939

WKR
Finally made it up to Kodiak this August, and it was definitely one to remember. We got there right before a record breaking heat wave that lasted the whole trip, which made a lot of aspects of what we did pretty tough. Conversely, we did an entire 8 day trip on Kodiak without putting our rain gear on one time. Not sure, but that too has to be some kind of record. On the hunting side of the house, we did a drop camp towards the middle of the island. Even at 2000', it was hot. Nevertheless, we both managed to harvest pretty decent bucks- interestingly, mine was a completely hard-horned 3x3 taken on August 12th. Not a record breaking specimen, but definitely a good representative animal and interesting to see the beautiful chocolate-colored antlers that early. My watch's barometer read 3250' where I pulled the trigger. I was also fortunate to fill my second tag from the road system... which was another hard horned animal, interestingly. Note on that- road system hunting early season is tough. Be prepared to put a lot of miles in to get away from hikers enjoying the nice weather, and also for lower population densities of deer that are much spookier and than those in the backcountry. Some pics:

Definitely brought some good takeaways from this trip.

1. Blacktail hunting on Kodiak is a really cool experience. They're not huge trophies and don't provide a ton of meat, but hunting deer in an alpine environment is a great time if you're willing to put in the effort.

2. The island's terrain is deceptive. What looks like a golf course from the air can, in actuality, be 6-8' tall alders and salmonberries.

3. In that vein, use game trails religiously. If you lose or elect not to use them, which was not hard to do while we were there, you can end up in some of the aforementioned jungles. Not a grand time.

4. Be prepared for a very physical hunt if targeting early season Blacktail. We had the most success on days we hunted high, and getting to good glassing points involved a solid regimen of "Kodiak cardio."

5. I'm not a paid Vortex spokesman, but I'm running out of reasons to use any other optics. All of their stuff from rangefinders to binos to riflescopes performed beautifully for both myself and my partner, including items from across the entire price range of their products.

Overall, it was a great hunt. We also did some good Halibut and Salmon fishing, although the latter was in between runs for most of our time. If you're looking for a completely unique deer hunt that will test you physically and holistically as a hunter, an early season Kodiak hunt may fit the bill. However, they're not cheap. Commercial flights to Kodiak are over a grand from most of the East Coast, and the two NR deer tags were $800. Then, if you fly in, you're looking at $700 more per person... so $2500 per person for a deer hunt before you even consider lodging, meals, gear and transporting meat. Things to consider. Either way, I'm glad to have gotten a hunt in before school starts here next week, and am thankful for the opportunity to have challenged and improved myself as a hunter. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Looney

FNG
Looks like you had a good trip! It has been one hell of a summer here in kodiak. I can only think of it raining for one or two days in the last 2 months. I think the heat has attributed to the bucks rubbing earlier than usual. On August 10th I counted 15 or so bucks and only a single one of them still carried velvet.

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
Looks like you had a good trip! It has been one hell of a summer here in kodiak. I can only think of it raining for one or two days in the last 2 months. I think the heat has attributed to the bucks rubbing earlier than usual. On August 10th I counted 15 or so bucks and only a single one of them still carried velvet.

Really intrigued by the whole velvet phenomenon- any wildlife biologists out there who could elucidate? All of the antlered deer I saw except the two I harvested were still solidly in velvet, a la macro picture above.

Crazy about y'all's weather. Scary for the salmon populations. Could be a weird next few years

Heading there at the end of October with the sponsor....Kodiak Combos!
Cant wait to get up there. Hopefully it cools down a bit...….but not too much. ;-)

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
What transportation or outfitter did you use to get to kodiak

Flew Alaska Air commercially to Kodiak, and Seahawk Air once on the island. Hope that answers the question.

I'll be there on Thursday... the weather is changing... perfect. Ed F

Yeah, you guys will have much better weather than we did. Good luck, hope you guys have views like this!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 8.03.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 8.03.46 AM.png
    912.9 KB · Views: 76

Oregon

WKR
Congrats and good job! Never hunted Kodiak in summer but spent enough time there during that period. Can’t wait to go back!

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
Well... we had our share of wind, rain and bears. Lost 2 deer to bears and had bears in camp almost everyday. Great adventure... go now before the next big dieoff. Deer numbers are the best I've seen. Ed FView attachment 122515

Awesome! Similar rack geometry to mine, if mine had brow tines. Sorry to hear you had bear issues; I guess we were proximal enough to the peak of the salmon runs that we didn't experience any such issues. Either way, sounds like a great trip.

Well... we had our share of wind, rain and bears. Lost 2 deer to bears and had bears in camp almost everyday. Great adventure... go now before the next big dieoff. Deer numbers are the best I've seen. Ed FView attachment 122515
Nice buck. Couple questions for you if you have time. Did you use kodiak combos as well or transporter? If so which transporter?