Kodiak blacktail

hunterl

FNG
My buddy and I have a trip planned for next September to kodiak (I’d rather go in November but I can’t get the time off of work). Tickets are bought and we’re talking to the island charters. We were wondering if anyone could give us any insight on areas to look at on the map or lakes to land at for the best possible hunt. We’re looking to hunt them in the alpine because they’ll obviously still be in there summer range and bached up. Thank you in advance.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Call Jay with Vertigo air. He has options where he can land all over the island different lakes and lagoons or bays. He flew us into Grant's Lagoon and hunted 10 days in September of 2019. We weren't in Alpine and saw deer every day.

We loved that hunt.

We flew over alpine areas, saw goats and lakes up high.

20190829_203934.jpg20190829_210444.jpg

Attachments

• 20190902_174610.jpg
    20190902_174610.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 61

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Find an area with elevation and a place to land a float plane (large lake or saltwater) Call Island Air and tell them you want to deer hunt and see what they can do for you.
Funny, I called Island Air and was told they didn't offer flights for hunters. Gave me Jay's number.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My buddy and I have a trip planned for next September to kodiak (I’d rather go in November but I can’t get the time off of work). Tickets are bought and we’re talking to the island charters. We were wondering if anyone could give us any insight on areas to look at on the map or lakes to land at for the best possible hunt. We’re looking to hunt them in the alpine because they’ll obviously still be in there summer range and bached up. Thank you in advance.
In addition to Andrews Air, I'd give Willy a call at Kodiak Air Service and talk to him about options.

I can't remember, when we got there, we were surprised to see them fly in a group, really strange.
You probably called “Island Air Express”which is a commercial charter service.

for hunts “Island Air Service” is the one to call at the float office. There is a difference!

Lots has gone on there over the last couple years with pilots like Jay and Willy going out on their own, Andrews Air sold a number of Assets to Island Air Service and employees transferred etc. I don’t know hardly any details just that it’s a bit more complicated. Seahawks is still there as well.

ppwack02

Lil-Rokslider
Gone with Seahawk twice now and have another trip booked with them this year. Roland is great to fly with.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Those are some nice bucks indeed, especially the one in the first pic. I gotta ask, what caliber were you using, .338 or maybe larger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. It was a picture perfect day when I shot him. Just beautiful! If you notice he does not have a bifurcated rack that Sitka Blacktails typically have, it’s more like a whitetail rack.

Close guess on the cartridge. It’s a .375 Ruger in a Ruger Guide Gun. Too many extra large brown carnivores in the immediate area for me not to have one. We saw probably a half dozen Kodiak Bears on our trip.

Last edited:
Thank you. It was a picture perfect day when I shot him. Just beautiful! If you notice he does not have a bifurcated rack that Sitka Blacktails typically have, it’s more like a whitetail rack.

Close guess on the cartridge. It’s a .375 Ruger in a Ruger Guide Gun. Too many extra large brown carnivores in the immediate area for me not to have one. We saw probably a half dozen Kodiak Bears on our trip.
Some dang nice bucks!!!