KODIAK BLACKTAILS rain gear

Getting my gear sorted for my upcoming (late OCT) trip to Kodiak for Blacktails with Jeff at Kodiak Combos. I have been through every post on this forum about rain gear but wanted to get thoughts on my kit from guys that have been there.

I currently have the First Lite SEAK jacket, Sitka Cold Front Pants, First Lite Stormlight jacket and First Lite Boundary Stormtight pants.

Will this cover me? I have a little "extra" cash from the holidays and have thought about adding either a KUIU or SITKA piece (or two).

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!!

I personally have used Sitka and it worked but quickly wore out, membrane tore etc, this is over a year or two of heavy use. I had a group arrive all decked out in kuiu and it was windy and rainy on their first day, I asked them how their held up and they said they were dry, unbelievable good gear. I ordered some and it is great. It toook several orders to get the right fit. They come at least one or two sizes smaller that you are used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My opinion is that you’ll probably be OK with what you have since, correct me if I’m wrong but, you’ll be going back to Jeff’s place every night to dry out prior to the next day. If you are really wanting to buy some new gear, you can’t beat the Kuiu offerings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Ironmerganser
I was leaning towards the KUIU.....
Yes..we will be going back each night......but I don't want to be uncomfortable and wet while hunting....
Thanks for the input guys!!!

Being able to dry out each day really makes a difference. In such cases, any of the Top 3’s rain gear will suffice. If you can’t dry out each night, HH or equal would be my recommendation. Good luck!

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Personally, on my Kodiak trips I liked to have a set of HH rubber raingear for the wet days. Just pack the light membrane stuff for days it that looks like it "might" not rain. It's worked out well for me.

I second that. One of my trips there we saw the sun a few hours in 11 days. I would have liked to had a rain gauge, it was constant (another trip we had no rain so go figure). I use old school Peter Storm which is much like Helly Hansen. The thorned bramble shoots will tear up light rain gear on the bottom. Your top could be high tech breathable stuff IMO if you choose. Wet rubber turns the thorns and seems to slide through the brush. Doesn't breath but in heavy hiking and climbing nothing much does.

hankharp

FNG
What you have is going to work pretty much as well as any of the other offerings on the market. I would definitely go with the SEAK jacket over the Stormlight; as for pants, either option you have should work.

After working up there for a couple of seasons, what you wear is going to dependent on that day/week's forecast. Some days I just go with johns and rain pants/bibs instead of a more traditional softshell pant with a rain pant over it. Just always make sure you have what you personally need to sit comfortably through some real rain and wind.

Flojoe

FNG
Hunting from the boat means you’ll likely be alder busting at some point, so you’ll want the heaviest duty rain gear you have. What you have will likely be just fine. As the others have said the HH Gear works great and is pretty inexpensive compared to the high end stuff.

gbflyer

WKR
If there is real rain, the HH commercial or Impertech, the latter for ease of packing. Use this for the skiff ride to the beach. Then strip it off and wear a good polar tech or wool pile layered with good synthetic or wool long handles. Embrace the fact that you’re going to be wet. Technical rain gear will not change this fact, especially if there’s hard hiking and sweating. It does make a nice windbreaker if you’re stopped to glass so that’s one good thing. The pile will keep you warm wet or dry.

I live in SE AK and work outside. We get 100” plus of rain a year. I’ve used every kind of rain gear. None of it breathes enough to keep you dry from perspiration. You’ll start feeling wet at the shoulders first, then it works it’s way down. I’ve said it before, whoever invents the first lightweight rain gear that really breathes should get a free pass to Heaven.

Sorry, I wouldn’t be a good salesman for high dollar rain gear.

mcseal2

WKR
We had 5 days of solid rain on our moose hunt last year in Alaska. We both had First Lite SEAK jackets and Kuiu Yukon pants and were happy with the performance of both. We mainly used the pants around camp but were often sitting on wet things with them. We had our waders on every time we ventured out very far.

Around the ranch at home I use the HH Impertech stuff. Its hard to beat for hard use. I don't think I'd want to pack moose quarters in it though. Using the SEAK and unzipping the armpit zippers made it less miserable working hard in rain gear. As others have said, nothing is perfect.

Gb flyer hit it on the head..

This was my kodiak setup back in the day.

Military issue gore Tex jacket.. HH pants and extra toughs.

IMG_1171.jpg

I was a commercial fisherman on Kodiak, and out west, for 12 years. We hunted whenever we could. We wore Grundens and xtratuffs, with wool underneath. The new raingear hadn't been invented yet.

All the new fancy stuff is way lighter, easier to walk in, and WAY more expensive. I now live and hunt in SW Washington, and after ruining a LOT of Sitka, Kuiu, and Firstlite...I still wear Grundens when hunting blacktail in our blackberry infested jack-fir jungles.

Oregon

WKR
I was a commercial fisherman on Kodiak, and out west, for 12 years. We hunted whenever we could. We wore Grundens and xtratuffs, with wool underneath. The new raingear hadn't been invented yet.

All the new fancy stuff is way lighter, easier to walk in, and WAY more expensive. I now live and hunt in SW Washington, and after ruining a LOT of Sitka, Kuiu, and Firstlite...I still wear Grundens when hunting blacktail in our blackberry infested jack-fir jungles.

I as well have a very similar resume, but based out of Ketchikan and now NW Oregon coast.
No matter what you wear on the outside, just have polypro on skin and wool over that. I’ve been wet a lot. Never cold.
I can’t hunt in xtratuffs. I have a super weird foot size. No standard boot actually fits me. I tried xtratuffs on Kodak once. Too steep for my boots. Slipping inside boot and didn’t like tread on the slippery steep grass.
But, I will add. If the dude that is hosting you recommends a certain gear, you’d be crazy not to heed his advice.

I as well have a very similar resume, but based out of Ketchikan and now NW Oregon coast.
No matter what you wear on the outside, just have polypro on skin and wool over that. I’ve been wet a lot. Never cold.
I can’t hunt in xtratuffs. I have a super weird foot size. No standard boot actually fits me. I tried xtratuffs on Kodak once. Too steep for my boots. Slipping inside boot and didn’t like tread on the slippery steep grass.
But, I will add. If the dude that is hosting you recommends a certain gear, you’d be crazy not to heed his advice.

Ever concider rocking a pair of caulk boots?