KODIAK BLACKTAILS rain gear

Hunted exclusively out of Kuiu Yukon rain gear while hunting with Jeff. Busted brush and fought snow and rain and never leaked and never was wet. We put that stuff through the ringer and it held up wonderfully!

Hunted exclusively out of Kuiu Yukon rain gear while hunting with Jeff. Busted brush and fought snow and rain and never leaked and never was wet. We put that stuff through the ringer and it held up wonderfully!

What Tboss said, I had another group of six show up in kuiu and it was windy rainy their first day and when I picked them up I asked how their gear was holding up, they said dry as a bone so I ordered two sets and now use on on deck of the boat and stay dry working in them all day since December! The jackets do come like 2 sizes smaller. I normally wear a xl in but had to order xxl in the vests and coats. Pants seemed normal.

Keep your head on a swivel!

Kotaman

WKR
With a place to dry out in the evenings, what you have will be more than adequate and do everything the KUIU would do.

Sundance

Lil-Rokslider
Sitka Stormfront/Kuiu Yukon or Firstlite SEAK. I prefer Sitka because I feel Gore product hold up better over time. I have been under impressed with the DWR finish on FL SEAK. Also a set of Grundens Neptune series PU rubbers or the Helly Hansen Impertech.

OP
Ironmerganser
Well.....I am going with the FL Seak jacket and the Kuiu Yukon pants. Got both new but on super sale. I will report back after the trip!

I'm with FLAK, HH Impertech it's the only way to go.

Really, HH is the only way to go? Nothing wrong with HH for keeping you dry in a downpour, and it’s pretty darn durable to boot, but if you’re at all active and sweating, that sweat isn’t going anywhere but staying inside the HH. IMO, it’s great for hanging out in the rain in camp or in a tree stand, but he won’t be in a tree stand hunting deer on Kodiak. I don’t believe HH is the best rain gear to use for hunting Sitka black-tail on Kodiak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sundance

Lil-Rokslider
If you have the ability to pack a lot of gear a full set of 3-Layer raingear (Sitka, Kuiu, Firstlite) and some PU rubbers (HH or Grundens) I'd go that route. A lot of guides on the island rock hip boots and the 3/4 length HH impertech jacket in olive green. They can sit and glass with that jacket and be fully protected from the rain. Nothing beats good 3-Layer raingear when you are hiking and covering ground, and nothing beats good PU rubber raingear when you are sitting/glassing and its pouring rain.