Kodiak,, Boats, Bears and Backpacks.

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
Holy Schnikees

Did that face shot glance off the top of his head? Looks like a bullet path along his nose over the top of his head.

No, was across his nose, sideways not lengthways, that is a normal hair line. Nasty wound with the bone exposed, he may have healed, but I believe it would have never closed back on its own.

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
Oh, I forgot the award for the most expired food. I believe Kyle won with coco expired since 2010, but we all had a good bit. :)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I think the average age of food we was expired 3 or 4 years ago. Most seemed to sa expired 2014 or expries in 2015 haha. But we had plenty that said 11-13 as well ;)

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sheesh, and all I been huntin is turkeys........

Man, way to get it done and great story. You made it feel like I was there.

Thanks.

Randy

Julius K

FNG
Congrats boys! Great bear! Stid would you run the 3006 on kodiak again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
Congrats boys! Great bear! Stid would you run the 3006 on kodiak again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I ever draw another tag I would take more rifle. Only took the 06 this time as there were 3 of us and we had to hike a bit. Sure was wishing I had my 45-70 when I was finished the job. They are so dense when they get big, even at close range the shots broadside were stopped on the off side, the chest shot did exit.

VernAK

WKR
Great story Stid!

I hunted that area some years back......nice to not see other hunters.

Your taste in adult beverage is a bit sophisticated for my taste! :)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Was a great hunt and a heck of a lot of fun. Certainly way less stressful this year than the maiden voyage with Becca and I. I likely enjoyed the float a lot more (other than the 7.5-8' bear that wanted to ride in my raft) knowing what to expect.

Floating a creek that very few if any have floated prior certainly adds to the excitment. Its not a packraft rondy route for sure, unless you bring a landing net to the bottom to catch all the debris floating down. :)

Maybe I will just not use my bear tag next spring and let my dad shoot one and go home.....just so I can apply for this area again. :)

Thanks or letting me tag along Steve. Great times and great adventures. Anymore I like to go on trips that involve more adventure than simply just going hunting, the animal for me is great but the trips and logistics always make it more exciting. ;)

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I always enjoy your write-ups and photos Stid...you're a very talented man, sir.

Gotta love Larry's PR-49's...I've used the heck out of my HD the past few years.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another epic adventure for you guys. Thanks very much for sharing. What camera did you guy use to get all those awesome pictures?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

If I ever draw another tag I would take more rifle. Only took the 06 this time as there were 3 of us and we had to hike a bit. Sure was wishing I had my 45-70 when I was finished the job. They are so dense when they get big, even at close range the shots broadside were stopped on the off side, the chest shot did exit.

I've put 30-06 bullets in several bears now, and same thing... recovered most of them on the far side.

I've also hunted Kodiak with a buddy that uses a 45-70 a couple times now. When we got our chance last spring, the only shot was a 220 yds. About the far limit for that round, even using hot Buffalo Bore stuff.

F5asKDI.jpg

His first shot was good and the bear took it in the chest, but initial reaction was minimal. I tagged it with the .338 on the way to the brushline and then the followup .45-70 shot was through the brain as he rolled toward the creek, so that solved any tracking job!

Although the guide gun is a darn handy package for the close stuff, I think I'd prefer something with more punch at distance as the primary bear gun on a hunt just to keep the options open. At that range, the energy damage was pretty much limited to just the hole.

We used the same packing out trick. :)

gGCg2Mx.jpg

Anymore I like to go on trips that involve more adventure than simply just going hunting, the animal for me is great but the trips and logistics always make it more exciting. ;)

Boy... do I have the spring hunt for you. How are your backcountry skiing skills?

h5NIwP1.jpg

Came close to pulling it off this year, but I think we lessons learned I could make it work next time. Just need to extend my range a little further with someone strong and dumb!

CU6UND4.jpg