Kodiak Canvas Experiences

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
I'm renovating my house and dont have easy access to pics right now. But i just stole the idea off the internet. It's just a 30lb propane tank with a hole in the side for the pipe and I cut the end of the tank off and hinged it to open and close to put wood in. I tried a 20lb tank first and it was too small. The 30lb is a way better size. I drilled holes in the bottom for 4 pieces of pipe to use as legs. Steel pipe caps work great and you can unthread them to make the stove more transportable. I'll see if I can find a pic....it says a thousand words they say.

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
Not mine, but it will point you in the right direction.

Attachments

• stove2.jpg.eac3f1344a57ae38c5ce2b98867760ac.jpg
    stove2.jpg.eac3f1344a57ae38c5ce2b98867760ac.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 214

Uhl_16

FNG
Anyone have the flex bow VX with the side vents? Curious about performance this one.

freebird

WKR
I recently got the 10X14 kodiak tent. Got the free floor liner. Haven't had the chance to use it or set it up. I also bought a Mr heater big buddy heater. Been thinking about having a stove pipe hole put in the roof. But I think for the first year I will see how I like the mr heater. Ordered a couple cots from cabelas and will get a couple cot pads. Hope things calm down with the covid 19 virus and life gets back to normal.

Brendan

WKR
I'll be a contrarian: I had a flex bow 10x14 with a stove jack I installed, and ran a NuWay 3500 (Much better than a buddy heater because it vents externally, and draws moisture out of the tent instead of adding more). Had the vestibule out front. Awesome in a lot of ways. Especially the stove to stay warm and dry.

But, I HATED the sewn in floor. When you get wet or snowy conditions, you're either getting the inside of the tent a mess, or taking your boots on and off a lot. Note that I wasn't using it summers where bugs or anything was an issue, this was a hunting season tent for me.

I now run a Tipi (for the lack of floor, packs smaller, quicker to set up), but for a truck camp where setup time and truck space isn't an issue - I would go wall tent all the way. No floor, and add tarps, old rug, tyvek inside the tent where needed.

Have any of you guys put a stove jack in your 10x14 kodiak?

64f30a5720a0ab6c9eeec01781bce65b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love my Kodiak Flex Bow 10x14. But when I added the Vestibule on the end of the fly, it was a total game changer. Can't believe I hadn't done that sooner. AWESOME add on to an already very good tent.View attachment 162873View attachment 162874
I'll have to get one now! Been a Kodiak guy for over 5 years - great tent for hunting or taking my three kids camping. How does that thing hold up in the wind???

TxxAgg

WKR
I have the 10x10 and really like it.
Interested in the best way to heat it.

blackdawg

WKR
Anyone have the flex bow VX with the side vents? Curious about performance this one.

I have the VX. Works great for me, primarily use it when temps are warmer,32-90f. Vents really good when warmer and still heats up with the buddy heater on chilly mornings. Withstands winds,good tent for the dollar’s. When it gets cold I use my Arctic Ovens with vented propane heaters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firehawk

WKR
menhaden_man I have had good luck with wind. Although, I haven't had a lot of wind while using the vestibule yet. I can imagine it getting a little gnarly, but everything ties down well, so I imagine it will be ok.

Love the products and the company. Have the Flex Bow 10X14 w/ stove jack and the truck tent. They are awesome!

IMG_2644.JPG59941524_10218742198927175_4867218039755505664_n.jpg
59366919_10218742198727170_2183393113647611904_o.jpg

Tanner W

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for the 10x14 flex bow. You can set it up by yourself and plenty of room inside for 2 cots a table, and buddy heater. It did suck having to set it back up to dry when I got home but it was well worth it to get my grandpa to elk camp! I can sleep inside the jeep, but not him haha. This year I’d like to get the vestibule attachment and maybe look into the stove jack option.

I have a 10x10 Flex Bow. The 10x10 is a good size for two people in cots, but I don't know about running a heater in it. If you don't mind the extra weight and the challenge of finding a big enough tent site, you might as well go bigger.

The benefits of the Kodiak Canvas are vertical walls, the feeling of quality, good performance in wind. The drawbacks are weight, packed size, and poor handling of moisture (in my opinion)

The poor handling of moisture is probably just part of having a canvas tent, and I probably need to waterproof the thing with silicone spray. But the tent has a big nearly-flat top - when it unexpectedly snowed on us on an August trip to the mountains, the snow stayed put up top on, and the tent leaked. Also, I have been unable to find a setup for the awning that keeps water from pooling on it. It's a shame, because without the awning it's impossible to enter the tent in the rain without water getting in the tent.

The tent takes forever to dry and becomes a big mess if you have to put it away wet. Unlike a nylon or polyester tent, it's difficult to hang it up in the garage to dry out (depending on your garage, I guess).

If I could do it over again, I'd buy a quality tent that was lighter but could handle rough weather. Unfortunately this would mean sacrificing so much of what is so nice about the Kodiak, because the Flex-Bow is the only design of tent I've found that is so roomy but also seems weather-worthy.
i run a 10z10 and wish had a 10x12..two with cots and gear its awesome. We use a little buddy heater and big propane bottle when needed for heat. works great and heats the tent up quick. If i was more confident in that it would hold up to a ton of snow id also get a 10 or 12x14 to replace my wall tent and cut a hole and install a small wood stove but need to throw down like a welding matt. Last i heard they arent very fire treated but i saw a few people do it on youtube pretty dang slick.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
I've used several tents over the last 40 years. I'm just a tent type of guy/hunter. Set up my tent even when my father and his friends had their trailers, motorhomes in elk season. But a distance away, darn generator noise.
My 3 camp rigs:
1-WA State set up; Rainer canvas 10x12 wall tent & 6' front porch extension, 4-dog stove-accs, stored in Wells Cargo 10x6 trailer. Trailer becomes cook shack when tent, gear is set up. Still using ol' reliable 2001 Tundra to move camp around. Complete camp set up time: 4 hours
2-Backcountry set: Kifaru Tut, packable wood stove for multi days. Camp set up time: about 30 min.

3-Travel camping w/truck base camp on solo non-resident hunts:
Kodiak 10x10 since 2018, propane heater w/bulk tank. A palace of room, comfort for just me. Indoor carpet roll added to floor. Remove boots outside tent door b4 entering when in camp. Feet, boots need to breathe anyway. And easy set up always brings a smile to my face. The included 2 hanging gear organizers, 1 cargo net are nice and very handy. Complete Camp set up time: 1-hour to 90 minutes, depending on amount of gear.
Added the front vestibule awning accessory for 2021.

my 2020 AZ OTC archery deer camp for 8 days. Really like the Kodiak and retired budget friendly too.

Attachments

• 2020.AZ Trailhead basecamp 2.jpg
    2020.AZ Trailhead basecamp 2.jpg
    619.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 2020.AZ Trailhead camp 1.jpg
    2020.AZ Trailhead camp 1.jpg
    640.3 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_3134.JPG
    IMG_3134.JPG
    267.7 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_3136.JPG
    IMG_3136.JPG
    263 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Love my Kodiak Flex Bow 10x14. But when I added the Vestibule on the end of the fly, it was a total game changer. Can't believe I hadn't done that sooner. AWESOME add on to an already very good tent.View attachment 162873View attachment 162874

Been eyeing this accessory, aside from the obvious....why is it such a game changer? As in, how does it change/help the way you use the tent? Haven’t pulled the trigger yet because unsure if the added weight/bulk/setup was worth it or not.

Anyone add a stove jack to the roof? I’ve only seen them on the side wall, I was thinking the Nuway stove in/near the center of the back wall and out the top would work well and leave room for cots on side walls and still room for small table.

Also, for those that haven’t....get an outdoor carpet/rug for the inside! I got one of the grey or tan ones from home depot for $20, totally changes the interior, no more cold floor, wet floor, muddy floor, wrinkled floor, etc etc. Boots can stay on and you‘re not paranoid about bringing everything into the tent on the bottom of your boots. When its time to pack up, 80% of the mess is on the carpet, just shake it out.

AlleghenyMountain

Lil-Rokslider
I'm working on a deal for a used 10x10 flex bow. I'll be wanting a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet as mentioned. I'm also looking to see how people are heating, I've always thought I'd go with a wood stove but I've also thought about the vented Nuway.