Kodiak Canvas tents - yes please

I don't see much written about them here, but after two seasons in my 10x10 Kodiak Canvas tent as a base camp, I'm absolutely sold on them. I'm 6'4" and can easily stand up in mine with plenty of room to spare. Toss in a buddy heater on a hose and 20# bottle, and it's like an apartment in the mountains. Setup and takedown are a cinch, even solo. Who else is using these for a base camp? I sure love mine!

Love my 10x14. Just got it set up for a wood burning stove, think I went a little too big

8c73895f68a06d53c9030b3f7562458b.jpg
c16eba7ae8d64a34bafa0bfee08a183a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
My boys just bought one this year after seeing one in camp and getting the grand tour. VERY well made and plenty of room for 2 guys and gear. I used it myself during our recent blizzard in western ND while bowhunting and as Newtosavage mentioned, with a Buddy heater and 20lb'r, it was money. VERY comfortable. It will be a great car camping or base camp set up. Add a vestibule and have extra shade in the summer. I was very impressed.

I just had a canvas shop sew in a stove jack from walltentshop.com.

I think in most cases I’ll enjoy the ease of set up with a buddy heater but for late season hunts I like the option of letting the wood simmer all night long. Kind of a PITA waiting on things to cool down if you want to fold up camp and move.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I don't see much written about them here, but after two seasons in my 10x10 Kodiak Canvas tent as a base camp, I'm absolutely sold on them. I'm 6'4" and can easily stand up in mine with plenty of room to spare. Toss in a buddy heater on a hose and 20# bottle, and it's like an apartment in the mountains. Setup and takedown are a cinch, even solo. Who else is using these for a base camp? I sure love mine!

We actually reached out to them to get some reviews set up but they didn't seem too interested. Great tents though.

92xj

WKR

Really enjoy my Kodak - especially since I’m often towing a boat in summer. Only downside I can think of is packing that sucker up when it’s soaking wet then having to set it back up in the yard to dry out. I’ve only had to do that twice in maybe 5 years since I live in a rain shadow so really not that big of a deal.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a 10x14 set up with a stove jack and a Nuway propane stove. It was perfect for 2 guys on bunk cots on a late November muley hunt. Three would be doable but tight.

My only beef was we set the stove up on the opposite side of the cots so getting out of bed in the morning to turn on the heat sucks. Might rethink the arrangement this year and set the cots closer. Also tempted to go with a big buddy heater that could be kept right beside the bed, just reach out and turn it on, go back to sleep for ten minutes while it warms up. Can't wait for November to come again.

OP
Newtosavage
Mine is the el-cheapo version 10x10 ($299 on sale, I think?) without the ridge vents. I just crack a "window" on either side of the tent to vent my buddy heater when I need it. Most nights I turn off the heater but when it dips below 25 or so, I leave it on low all night. When I get up in the morning and turn on the Coleman lantern then the stove to boil water, it gets downright toasty in that tent within 2-3 minutes. Even on the 13 degree morning last week, I was eating breakfast with just a shirt on.

I really like the way that tent handles the wind too. I don't bother using the awning, since I'm too tall for it (that awning is the only thing I've found so far that I don't like about the tent, but it's easy to roll up and forget about too). On a really windy week on the flats in NW Colorado last year, the awning poles fell out enough times that I just rolled it up and forgot about it. As I was leaving Colorado last Saturday afternoon, the winds were cranking about 20-25+ and I saw several small pop-up campers and tents just getting shredded.

Of all the investments I've made for my elk/mule deer camp over the past 5 years, I'd put that KC tent near or at the top.

Pn8hall

WKR
Started researching options for our basecamp next year and we I am pretty sure the Kodiak 10x14 is gonna get the nod next year. Would like the option to have a woodburner if wanted. Where are you guys placing the Stove Jack at? What size Buddy heater are you using and how long does a 20lb tank run approx?

elkduds

WKR
Mine is the el-cheapo version 10x10 ($299 on sale, I think?) without the ridge vents. I just crack a "window" on either side of the tent to vent my buddy heater when I need it. Most nights I turn off the heater but when it dips below 25 or so, I leave it on low all night. When I get up in the morning and turn on the Coleman lantern then the stove to boil water, it gets downright toasty in that tent within 2-3 minutes. Even on the 13 degree morning last week, I was eating breakfast with just a shirt on.

I really like the way that tent handles the wind too. I don't bother using the awning, since I'm too tall for it (that awning is the only thing I've found so far that I don't like about the tent, but it's easy to roll up and forget about too). On a really windy week on the flats in NW Colorado last year, the awning poles fell out enough times that I just rolled it up and forgot about it. As I was leaving Colorado last Saturday afternoon, the winds were cranking about 20-25+ and I saw several small pop-up campers and tents just getting shredded.

Of all the investments I've made for my elk/mule deer camp over the past 5 years, I'd put that KC tent near or at the top.
^^^Every bit of this. My 10x10 is dramatically easier for 1 guy than the internal frame wall tent that preceded it. I use a lantern and a tanktop propane heater when awake. 2 can fit comfortably, though I am mostly solo. I don't bother much w the awning, when I do I put a pole upright in the center so moisture runs off. Bomber build quality on the Kodiak springbars. Tent folded is the size of a big suitcase. Pole sack is 4' long, so it is far easier to store and transport than the wall tent was. Fast setup/strike, so easy to move solo. It has vents, gear lofts, 2 zipper doors w screen windows. I'm preparing to spend a week in it after Halloween, hunting CO elk w camp around 8K elevation. After owning 2 wall tents, a Cabelas Alaskan Guide geodesic, and various nylon dome tents, I have settled on the Kodiak Canvas. I have a 24' camp trailer, the Kodiak has replaced that for all my solo trips regardless of the season.

Protect the floor w heavy tarp under and throw rugs on top. Cot legs and table legs will puncture it.

OP
Newtosavage
Protect the floor w heavy tarp under and throw rugs on top. Cot legs and table legs will puncture it.
Agreed on all points. The 10x10 is a perfect solo base camp tent. If I had an hour to move my base camp by myself, I could do it and have done it before.

As for the floor - I bought the protective footprint with my tent, and it was money well spent. I also bought a cheap 6'x8' rug that I throw down in the middle of the tent and getting out of my cot and stepping onto that rug in the mornings will flat out spoil a guy.

efnm

WKR
Newtosavage is spot on for the rug. It is a game changer in comfort, even something 2'x2' for your feet.

I also use a buddy heater.

Finally, I suggest that whatever tarp you put underneath, you should buy another one for inside as a carpet. I have had my tent leak water a few times but I never noticed because the inside tarp was in between me and the water. It also makes clean up super easy - you just fold up the tarp, take it out, and shake all of the dirt and pine needles out.

OP
Newtosavage
LOL I got off my cot a few times last season when it was in the teens, fired up the stove and lantern and buddy heater, stood on the carpet and was like "Do I still get to call this camping?" LOL

The amount of rest I get in this setup is worth many times the cost.

I was looking at one of the smaller pop-ups in a camp near mine and I'm pretty sure I had more room in my 10x10 KC than they had in their pop-up.