Kodiak Canvas tents - yes please

DBuck

Lil-Rokslider
What model do you guys prefer in the 10x14,i think theres 3 versions?

I have the super deluxe I believe it is. Whatever one/ones come with the screen doors in the front and the back I highly recommend. On a warm day its nice to get the air flow through the tent.

OP
Newtosavage
I'm a cheapskate, and wasn't sure if I would like or use the tent that much, so I opted for the least expensive 10x10 model when it was on sale. I have zero regrets. I wondered if I would regret not getting the deluxe models, but I don't. I did pay a little more (like $30 or something) for the tent footprint which IMO is a no-brainer.

Probably the best $300 I've spent on gear in a long time. Every time I set it up I can't believe how much tent I got for $300

ItemB

Lil-Rokslider
Since a couple guys mentioned sales, what time of year do these Kodiaks tend to go on sale, and through which retailers? I’m interested in the 10x14, looks pretty dang comfortable compared to tents I’m used to. Gateway to the full on wall tent.
Moosejaw has 20% off a full priced item and you could use active junky for another 12% back. Comes out to being a pretty good deal.
I can send you a refferal link for active junky if you don't have an account and we both get an extra $5

JoeRjolin

Lil-Rokslider
If anyone is interested, I have the 9x14 deluxe with added front room (8x8) that I would sell for $450. I’m in SE Iowa but we could discuss meeting up. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7mmfan

FNG
If anyone is interested, I have the 9x14 deluxe with added front room (8x8) that I would sell for $450. I’m in SE Iowa but we could discuss meeting up. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@JoeRjolin
Joe, tell me more about this tent. I know I'm reviving a long dead thread, but I'm looking for one of these, and I have family in Iowa right now that will be traveling back in a week or so.

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
I've had a 10x10 Deluxe since 2012 and used it for camping on the beach at the lake during the summer and for hunting during the fall and winter. I use it 30-40 nights a year. Easy to set-up by myself. Several (4+) friends have bought the same tent after seeing/using mine. They hold up well to wind too, mostly.
Unfortunately, last summer I got caught in a wind storm on the lake. By the time I got back to camp, my beloved Kodiak was flat on the ground. This was a first! The channels that accept the flex rods were split down the middle. I think the wind came in square on the end and jacked the side poles/rods up causing a lot of tension, and it just couldn't take it.
Called up Kodiak and they offered a discount on a new tent (which I took), but didn't cover much given it is supposed to have a lifetime warranty (I had my original receipt, etc). Yes, I got a lot of use out of it, but...this is a weak spot in the design IMO. Those sleeves have a lot of load on them and rub on the rods when in the wind.
The new tent has windows on the ends which will be great for getting good air circulation on the beach while still blocking the sun. I think it's the VX Deluxe model. Hopefully it holds up for years to come.

I wrote to Kodiak Canvas and asked why they don't offer models with stove jacks. They said they are not recommended for any type of heater at all. Has me concerned. I realize people use them, but I now am thinking something that is meant to have a jack. Thoughts?

Just put a stove jack in it. No big deal.

IMG_2644.JPG

I've used one for the last 4 years and love it. Picked up a 10x14 on craigslist for $200. Sets up quick and holds up really well to wind and weather. We use a big buddy and works well down to 15F or so. And a window unit in the summer is better than a hotel!!

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone done a stove mod in their Kodiak similar to this? It's what Springbar offers for a hot tent. I'm going to try it. These tents are nearly identical minus the doors and windows. Same frame system as the 10x14 I have. I already bought the chimney support cable. Winnerwell sells all the other accessories you need on their site minus the stove sleeve. I found a local canvas dealer that should be able to stich that in for me. Just need to wait until the stove I want comes back into stock.

WEB_CJ140-with-Stove-Jack.jpgCapture.JPG

Anyone done a stove mod in their Kodiak similar to this? It's what Springbar offers for a hot tent. I'm going to try it. These tents are nearly identical minus the doors and windows. Same frame system as the 10x14 I have. I already bought the chimney support cable. Winnerwell sells all the other accessories you need on their site minus the stove sleeve. I found a local canvas dealer that should be able to stich that in for me. Just need to wait until the stove I want comes back into stock.

View attachment 221826View attachment 221827
I just went ahead and bought the whole "hot tent" package.... the cold weather test will be coming soon..