Kodiak Canvas

mmac

WKR
Action Shooter said it well and I will duplicate some, but here were my reasons- 1) Mostly made in America, but still have operations and business to support in Utah. If you have a problem like a tear I don't have to find someone to fix, just send it back. 2) Support and questions answered was detailed and immediate and has been as I have added things. 3) The factory hot tent. I emailed Kodiak Canvas about hot tent options and they came back with a warning that they do not recommend any heating device esp an open flame in the tent. 4) They both use canvas but someone responded the Hydra shield doesn't breathe as well so condensation builds, which is why they add the vents. It was one person's opinion, but had me thinking build quality. I think they are well built though, don't want to say they are not. Was just one more thing I thought of.

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
Action Shooter said it well and I will duplicate some, but here were my reasons- 1) Mostly made in America, but still have operations and business to support in Utah. If you have a problem like a tear I don't have to find someone to fix, just send it back. 2) Support and questions answered was detailed and immediate and has been as I have added things. 3) The factory hot tent. I emailed Kodiak Canvas about hot tent options and they came back with a warning that they do not recommend any heating device esp an open flame in the tent. 4) They both use canvas but someone responded the Hydra shield doesn't breathe as well so condensation builds, which is why they add the vents. It was one person's opinion, but had me thinking build quality. I think they are well built though, don't want to say they are not. Was just one more thing I thought of.

There's a few threads on here about adding a stove to the Kodiak Canvas. It doesn't seem to be an issue for the guys who have done it but I'm sure they suggest against it for legal reasons. Springbar looks like an awesome tent too. The similarities were enough for me though that I went with the cheaper Kodiak option. I can retrofit it to a hot tent for less than half of what it costs for the Springbar option. Just my .02.

92xj

WKR
I've enjoyed my Kodiak for years. I did some few upgrades and changes that folks have been asking about...

sneaky

"DADDY"
Several reasons, The "hot tent" kit is turn key and Kodiak doesn't offer a wood stove option.
I looked at the Kodiak in a Cabelas and the sewing/stitching didn't look as clean.
Springbar is the originator of the tent (making this tent since 1961), Kodiak "borrowed" the design.
Better reviews, both have good reviews, but Springbar had less (virtually none) bad reviews.
Springbar is made in the USA (mostly, they now have a line outside US) and has a fantastic reputation of customer service.
Springbar was in stock which wasn't a big factor, but was nice.

I know I paid a little more, but am good with that
The Springbar tents with stove jacks are all imported. I have no idea why they don't make a US version with a jack. I asked them a couple of times on their Instagram page and never got a response to that question.

I have a friend who has had one of them for 25 years or so. Still going strong. Stronger than him. Last time he got drunk and passed out halfway in the door and got rained on

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mmac

WKR
Agree Mmc, to me the value of one solution vs. making one was worth it.

corncob

WKR
So a somewhat apples to apples comparison would be the Springbar Classic Jack ($899) plus the $99 zip in stove jack vs the Kodiak Super Deluxe VX ($729 or $599 on sale right now) plus a DIY or aftermarket stove jack done by a seamstress or tent company?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s been plenty of talk about how this set up looks/works for 2 guys and gear, but what about 3 guys and gear?!

Our BPS sale tent arrived the other day and in between rains, got it set up with our actual elk/antelope camp (well, almost our actual set up).

Everyone knows what the outside pictures look like, so here’s a couple from the inside with our setup:

c56b826f39399f3bb8c9183c7e5bfb18.jpg

Cot on the right is a Cabelas Outfitter XL which is a behemoth. Like obnoxiously massive. The cot on the left it a Cabelas “normal size” cot. In between we have our 33” wide pantry. Both cots have a couple inches clearance from the walls, but not as much as I’d like.

6a936125de7bb4d9bbbca49129250843.jpg

Took this pic looking the opposite direction standing in between the two cots from previous pic.

Normal size cot with a 4’ cook/kitchen table. Enough room for a normal size plastic storage tote underneath the table and another normal size plastic tote at the end of the cot.

The accessory mesh hangers will help with utensil organization/general storage above the cook table along with the 3 other mesh pouches we will have plus 2 mesh gear lofts. *Note on these - We are going with one hung normally over the cots and one in “hammock” mode on the other side. I’m 5’11” and my head brushes up along the bottom of it. Don’t want that by cook area.

For our hunting totes and extra storage, we will have to have a storage tent for bow cases, other totes, etc. No biggie for us.

Again, no “in the field” experience just yet, but definitely doable with 3 guys with normal size cots (or 2 normal size and 1 obnoxious sized one) plus a modest cooking set up.

Hopefully this helps someone who was in my shoes teetering on canvas tent options!

Also, our thought process is that bows and duffel bags would go under the each cot.

Sure not a straight walled Davis tent like we’ve been using, but at 75lbs, 15 minute set up, and the much smaller space it will take up in the truck; seems like a good choice.

jeffpg

WKR
Also, our thought process is that bows and duffel bags would go under the each cot.

Sure not a straight walled Davis tent like we’ve been using, but at 75lbs, 15 minute set up, and the much smaller space it will take up in the truck; seems like a good choice.

So, exactly what tent is this you are showing us here DmrbigEshotT?

Grumman

WKR
I set my 10x14 up in the back yard over Memorial weekend and camped with the wife and kids. We projected movies inside on the end wall. They loved it and now want to go camping more. Win-win.

f119ec13ccf31fa2365cff4bcfc440b6.jpg

Those are a couple of reasons why I went to this style...

Those are a couple of reasons why I went to this style...

The giant tote used to carry the tent, stakes, and other accessories was way too much for one guy to carry, took up and ton of room, and that’s not even considering the 70+lbs in poles that are 6.5’ each. It was just too much for one vehicle and no trailer driving 1500 miles out west.

We had about 2” of clearance over the tires once she was all loaded and we were so concerned, we dropped about 200lbs of gear off for another guy in our group to pick up when he came out a couple days later.

6d611c143475bda34744ea536919dbf5.jpg

OP
S

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
The giant tote used to carry the tent, stakes, and other accessories was way too much for one guy to carry, took up and ton of room, and that’s not even considering the 70+lbs in poles that are 6.5’ each. It was just too much for one vehicle and no trailer driving 1500 miles out west.

We had about 2” of clearance over the tires once she was all loaded and we were so concerned, we dropped about 200lbs of gear off for another guy in our group to pick up when he came out a couple days later.

That’s Insane. Last year the two of us got our gear down to a freezer two totes and a camp chair each in the bed of the truck. In the back seat was a duffel bag our pack and bows. Super compact and easy to move around.
779b73f392433c926ea3eef00fd24312.jpg

sneaky

"DADDY"

What was your plan if you were successful? I can fit my 16x20 wall tent setup and my gear in a Tacoma short bed and not look like that lol

That’s Insane. Last year the two of us got our gear down to a freezer two totes and a camp chair each in the bed of the truck. In the back seat was a duffel bag our pack and bows. Super compact and easy to move around.
779b73f392433c926ea3eef00fd24312.jpg

That's the kind of set up we are looking forward to lol Much easier on the back

What was your plan if you were successful? I can fit my 16x20 wall tent setup and my gear in a Tacoma short bed and not look like that lol

We had some old timers with our group who drove separate and live near us, so they were able to take some gear. *This is not a luxury we will always have which is part of the reason we decided to go with the Kodiak over Davis.

We ended up getting a bull a couple days in and brought him home in a chest freezer. We swapped some of the gear we brought to their vehicle to make room for the chest freezer

*Shameless pic of the bull :)
elk.jpg

OP
S

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
That's the kind of set up we are looking forward to lol Much easier on the back

Ya our first year was a giant game of Tetris trying to get everything packed in using a bunch of small totes. We streamlined and brought a ton less stuff. Now we just need to figure out how to close the deal. Can’t seem to break the hundred yard barrier on the elk. If I had a rifle so many elk would be dead lol.

Ya our first year was a giant game of Tetris trying to get everything packed in using a bunch of small totes. We streamlined and brought a ton less stuff. Now we just need to figure out how to close the deal. Can’t seem to break the hundred yard barrier on the elk. If I had a rifle so many elk would be dead lol.

We definitely are not as efficient as we can be with stuff. Base camp sleeping bags plus spike camp bags, lots of frozen food, etc. It sure makes camp more comfortable, but it’s a bit much.

Having prior experience (and lots of fails) sure does help once you get within 100 yards. I messed up 5 opps within 75 yards last year. My cousin has hunted quite a bit with good success, so it really helps teaming up with him. That’s the biggest thing I’d suggest for new people: try to hunt with someone who has experienced success in the elk woods.