Kodiak deer/ goat combo

Posted this over on the AK but figured its worth a shot here too. Read through the old posts and gathered some good info but I Have dates to fly in for 10 days in early October. My buddy is a 66 year old resident of AK and wants to hunt goats. Im a nonresident, 33 yr old and will have deer tags. Never been to Kodiak, anyone have any opinions on trying to do both in one 10 day trip, doable? Hoping we will still be able to land up high on a lake to make goat access a little easier. Was eying some of the lakes down on the southwest side, but hard to know if they hold both deer and goats. I imagine deer will be where you find them that time of the year? Any thoughts?

I think that should be plenty doable, although my couple of trips to Kodiak have not been during deer season. I have seen deer all over the place during winter goat and spring bear hunts. I bet if you focus on getting a goat as a priority you'll have time to get a few deer later in the trip.

Yeah, it’s usually not a problem at all. I’ve been hunting Kodiak just about every year now for the last 15 years and have killed both goats and deer on multiple occasions down there. My son and I only got one goat last year, but we killed 4 deer as well. Early Oct. is a great time to go, but plan on getting the opportunity to test out your gear, especially your tent/shelter, if there’s a weak link, Kodiak will usually find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akAbe

FNG
Very doable to get both on a 10 day hunt. My party got a goat, a bunch of deer, and a bear in a week long hunt late october last year. Could have added caribou too if anyone in our party had a tag. I would focus on the goat for sure, you will probably get plenty of chances at deer incidentally to the goat hunt. Also, I'm not an expert but it feels like goats on Kodiak care a lot less about elevation and a lot more about just being near real gnarly terrain. I think the goat was at the lowest elevation of any of the animals we killed, we ended up dressing it out on the beach.

OP
M
Thanks for the responses, we will make the goat the priority. I have talked to two air services and both have dates available right now that work for us. just trying to narrow down a spot. Pretty stoked!

OP
M
All set up with Seahawk air to fly in from the 4th till the 13th. Didn't decide on a spot, will talk to pilot and decide when we get there. Pretty excited!

All set up with Seahawk air to fly in from the 4th till the 13th. Didn't decide on a spot, will talk to pilot and decide when we get there. Pretty excited!
we will probably see you there at seahawk air. we are scheduled to fly out on the 4th with them as well and come out on the 15th.

BowMan86

FNG
Good luck, we may run into you. We fly out with Seahawk air on the 4th of Oct as well.

Good luck, we may run into you. We fly out with Seahawk air on the 4th of Oct as well.
I hope they have various spots for all of us. We are planning on flying into a high mountain lake drop off. how long are you guys planning on being in the field?

BowMan86

FNG
We fly out with them at 1100. Havnt fully decided yet but we have goat tags for 474. We will be out from the 4th-18th.

BowMan86

FNG
We will be flying into a high mountain lake for goats and if we both tag out we will have them move us to a better location for deer.

We will be flying into a high mountain lake for goats and if we both tag out we will have them move us to a better location for deer.
Ok, yeah we are going from the 4th-15th or 16th. I will have 2 RG480 tags. I did a quick look and if you are using the RG474 that doesn't open until Nov 1st just an fyi. We were thinking about having them move us as well if I tagged out on Goats to go after some deer if we weren't seeing many deer around. We are supposed to fly out with Seahawk at 8 am. I see you must have the DG474 tag.

BowMan86

FNG
Ok, yeah we are going from the 4th-15th or 16th. I will have 2 RG480 tags. I did a quick look and if you are using the RG474 that doesn't open until Nov 1st just an fyi. We were thinking about having them move us as well if I tagged out on Goats to go after some deer if we weren't seeing many deer around. We are supposed to fly out with Seahawk at 8 am. I see you must have the DG474 tag.
Yeah we both drew the DG474. I would expect at the elevation we are hunting we will be too high for deer but we will see. Same as you though, if we are not seeing deer we will move after we fill our goat tags.

Yeah we both drew the DG474. I would expect at the elevation we are hunting we will be too high for deer but we will see. Same as you though, if we are not seeing deer we will move after we fill our goat tags.

Good luck with that, there aren’t any goats in 474, and even less deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M
Good luck guys, getting close! We fly out on the 4th with seahawk at 1:30. Have RG480 tags and deer as well.