Kodiak flex bow 10x14 vs Davis wall tent 10x12.

Thanks I think I'm sold on the kodiak. Any suggestions on what size nuway stove is sufficient?

We used a nuway in Alaska last year and it under preformed. Burnt a lot of propane for the amount of heat it put out. But it was a Cabelas 12x20 alaknak tent. I’m pretty sure my buddy gave it away.

The bigger Nu-Way does suck more propane and they are not ideal for such large tents. My 3500 in a 10X14 is ideal but you'd need two of em to heat a 20' long tent.

The KC Flex Bow tents are easy to erect if you see if done once first. I upgrade my stakes on larger tent and take a heavy 3lb mallet.

The vestibule is a sweet addition. I use a painter pole too.

Enjoy your new shelter!

Eldoradotim

FNG
Classified Approved
OP already bought the Kodiak but just here to give one more thumbs up for the 10x14 Kodiak. It’s an awesome tent, goes up in under 10 minutes if you want to once you’ve done it a time or two. I’ve used mine once in the snow and we had a small buddy heater that kept it in the 60‘s inside the tent. Plan on getting a Nuway stove before the next cold weather trip.

Mine is a family tent in the summer with wife, kids, dog....and a perfect 2 hunter setup for hunting season. Easy enough to setup that solo would be no problem either. If there’s any downside ...you could say that it’s heavy, but that’s also part of what makes it so nice.

I haven’t yet added the vestibule but I think that would be really great in any kind of weather on a hunting trip.

Idahoguy

FNG
I have the 10x14 and vestibule and it is great. I also have a 16x20 wall tent also is great. I don't use the wall tent unless there are 4 or 5 of us for a week or more.

OP
Smokey12

Smokey12

Lil-Rokslider
I have since set mine up. It's super easy very happy with the purchase.

First chance you get, hose it down thoroughly to season it. I went one step further, I put it up just before a rainstorm and hose it down good and let it sit in the rain overnight. After it's dried out I pack it up. I did this with my KC truck tent too.

IMGP3111.jpg

Judging by the reviews I’m sure the Kodiak is a great tent, but I’m always gonna vote for the Davis if possible. Made in USA. I have a 12x14 Davis that I use and it’s awesome with a wood stove. Really is a hotel room in the mountains.

I have no experience with the internal frame, but I got the traditional frame and honestly I can set it up solo in 20 minutes. As far as heat retention, the lowest I’ve had it is in the 20s and not stoking the stove overnight there was a considerable difference between the outside and inside. First morning in those temps I woke up thinking “it’s chilly in here the stove definitely went out”. I walked out to water a tree and my thought immediately changed to “wow it was pretty damn warm in there”.

I realize OP has already made his decision, this is really for anyone glossing over the same decision.

Also, I considered the nu-way stove for sometime but ended up with a traditional wood stove. In cold temps propane will freeze up and leave you heatless. I always buy up some Idaho energy logs - they burn for 5 hours or so and burn hot as hell. I’m usually out of camp for the day only returning in the evening... and if you’re considering bringing fuel(propane) with you anyway, what’s the difference between that and a few energy logs for each evening?

Jaker_cc

WKR
Judging by the reviews I’m sure the Kodiak is a great tent, but I’m always gonna vote for the Davis if possible. Made in USA. I have a 12x14 Davis that I use and it’s awesome with a wood stove. Really is a hotel room in the mountains.

I have no experience with the internal frame, but I got the traditional frame and honestly I can set it up solo in 20 minutes. As far as heat retention, the lowest I’ve had it is in the 20s and not stoking the stove overnight there was a considerable difference between the outside and inside. First morning in those temps I woke up thinking “it’s chilly in here the stove definitely went out”. I walked out to water a tree and my thought immediately changed to “wow it was pretty damn warm in there”.

I realize OP has already made his decision, this is really for anyone glossing over the same decision.

Also, I considered the nu-way stove for sometime but ended up with a traditional wood stove. In cold temps propane will freeze up and leave you heatless. I always buy up some Idaho energy logs - they burn for 5 hours or so and burn hot as hell. I’m usually out of camp for the day only returning in the evening... and if you’re considering bringing fuel(propane) with you anyway, what’s the difference between that and a few energy logs for each evening?

Those energy logs have always left my spark arrestor and stove pipe a complete mess. Those things burn too dirty for me I think. No doubt they burn for a while but I don’t like having to clean my stove pipe and spark arrestor every other day.

Those energy logs have always left my spark arrestor and stove pipe a complete mess. Those things burn too dirty for me I think. No doubt they burn for a while but I don’t like having to clean my stove pipe and spark arrestor every other day.
That’s strange because they’ve never given me an issue

hunting1

WKR

there is a US version of the KC, made in Utah.