Kodiak Flexbow 10x14 Insulation?

• Thread starter Deleted member 52995
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 52995

Several days ago, I made my purchase of a new Kodiak 10x14 Flexbow Deluxe tent. I haven't had the opportunity to set it up just yet but I'm certain it will prove to be a great tent. And Thanx to everyone for the advice, and recommendations, especially Where's Bruce for the stove jack accessory, and installation video. I still prefer his choice of stove jack, along with the Nu Way propane stove which I intend to purchase in the very near future. Although there has been a controversy about which type of stove is best, wood, pellet, or propane, I prefer propane even though it may not generate quite as much heat. There are several companies which make insulation for tents, but it's expensive, and bulky. It may not be easily adapted (if it can be at all) to most tents as well. Anyway, today I purchased several inexpensive space blankets, which are light weight, and can easily be adapted, and installed inside most, if not all tents. After installation of the space blankets, and propane stove, I'll measure the heat loss to determine if it's an easy, cost effective method of overcoming or mitigating the less effective heat generating qualities of a propane stove. Thanx again to everyone, including those members I failed to mention....

Last edited by a moderator:

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
The last two elk seasons I spent in some rather cold weather. In 2019, the lows were in the single digits and last year the lows were 20F.

I suspected the tent walls (and ceiling since heat rises) were not holding the heat (using a Mr. Buddy propane heater) in well so I bought two old sleeping bags off offerup. These are the type that can fully open.

I laid these on the roof and then pulled the awning back towards the rear of the tent and tied it down using rope and stakes. Clamps sorta work, but rope and stakes work best.

I have not figured out how to insulate the sides as this tent does not offer many attachment points for any of this type work.

Lastly, I have no proof that what I did really kept it any warmer inside, but I wanted to try something that made some sense.

Good luck,

Eddie

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I have only had my Kodiak in the 20s with a Buddy heater. I have read several reports here and other hunting forums of folks running heaters and keeping warm down to zero. i am not sure what you are trying to accoplish with the insulation? Are you using this tent in temps way below zero? Forgive me, I am from Texas and I may not have the experience of those in the colder climates.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
I read something recently written by a physicist (that's what he claimed to be, anyway) , and he stated that roof insulation should be applied to the inside of the tent, not outside. The manufacturers of space blankets claim an 80% to 90% heat reflection rate. My 58" by 98" Survive Outdoors Longer blankets, weigh 3.2 ounces each, and can probably be attached via velcro. I plan to attach them to all interior walls, and interior ceiling as well. The cost was about $6 or $7 each....We'll see...
Inside sure makes sense to me (and I'm not a physicist, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express las night :) ) so let me now how it works out.

How are you going to attach the Velcro to the tent and blanket? Glue?

I was going to mention that two sleeping bags, used only for tent insulation, is rather bulky and way more extra weight. I'm not backpacking, of course, but the last two years have taught me that ounces lead to pounds no matter how you are hunting/camping.

Good luck,

Eddie

My tent's jack is not thru the top but the side and the NuWay 3500 with one burner on low kept the same tent at 60 degrees all night with snow flurries and 14 degrees outside. Forget insulation, you don't need it. If you need a little something extra to stay warm, take something suitable like...

3d04175b5177edb21cd3b925c3062376.jpg
this.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Exposure to 60 degree temperatures for more than 30 minutes would cause me to experience, and eventually succumb to hypothermia..🏔🐧
So you never leave the tent when camping? I'd also recommend a sleeping bag for use in the tent as well. That will probably eliminate the need for insulation stuck to the tent. (y)

@Where's Bruce? Do you mind posting that installation video of the stove jack? I have a Kodiak Canvas tent that I’ve been using with a buddy heater however, I’d rather go the stove route I think. TIA Sir.