Kodiak Footwear Question

I have seen some posts on this but have a somewhat narrowed down question. Buddy and I will be heading to Kodiak in mid-August for a blacktail/caribou (reindeer) hunt. We should be in the area of Booth Lake, Anvil Lake, Halibut Bay vicinity. As far as footwear is concerned we are thinking our normal hiking boots and rubber (muck, lacrosse). Question is, what about waders...assuming we will need some to get out of the beaver and I am sure there will be a couple stream crossings. Would a pair of the packable and disposable hodgman hip waders work or possibly their packable chest waders with a pair of surf shoes on the bottom? We can go full on waders as well but that seems overkill especially if we will carry them away from camp each day for an stream crossing.

Thanks for any advice!

OP
P
Thank you sir, do you find yourself wearing them consistently or just very limited for stream crossings and the like? Trying to decide if a cheap packable wader is he best option or a higher quality is warranted.

I’ve done a fair amount of hunting in the Halibut Bay area and hip boots should be all you need for loading/unloading plane and the small stream crossings that you may encounter, just good, very well dressed/sealed waterproof hiking boots the rest of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm heading up in October and haven't even considered waders. My plan up until now was a pair of hikers and a pair of rubbers. Now you have me thinking.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have seen some posts on this but have a somewhat narrowed down question. Buddy and I will be heading to Kodiak in mid-August for a blacktail/caribou (reindeer) hunt. We should be in the area of Booth Lake, Anvil Lake, Halibut Bay vicinity. As far as footwear is concerned we are thinking our normal hiking boots and rubber (muck, lacrosse). Question is, what about waders...assuming we will need some to get out of the beaver and I am sure there will be a couple stream crossings. Would a pair of the packable and disposable hodgman hip waders work or possibly their packable chest waders with a pair of surf shoes on the bottom? We can go full on waders as well but that seems overkill especially if we will carry them away from camp each day for an stream crossing.

Thanks for any advice!
I didn't bring hip boots last year on Kodiak and wished I had them. I had to wet-wade in and out of the plane. I also wore a stiff shanked boot and was glad I did for hiking around. Personally I wouldn't wear a rubber style boot for hiking around. The uneven terrain would be hell on my feet after a few miles of stomping around. Good hiking boots + hip boots are what I'm taking with me this year on Kodiak.

I always toss in some hip boots for getting in and out of the float plane.

As far as boots for the hunt, I've done 2 trips that were 14 days each and only wore Muck boots, it was just fine, but I think my feet are pretty tough. I've also done a pile of trips with just leather hiking boots and that worked great as well. I guess it just depends on what you will be doing, where and how well prepared your feet are.

muck boots, hiking /hunting boots and wiggys. Wiggys are a lot lighter to pack and slip on for crossing bogs or streams and put them back in your pack..

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I made my buddy give me a piggy back ride off the plane, lol. We hunted caribou and blacktail, and stiff boots with full ankle support for the area where the caribou are.

Based on locals, we went to Grant's Lagoon. We considered Anvil lake, but they all said it was further from caribou country. The area is pretty small where those feral reindeer live.

with tag prices$$$ i would pay for extra fly time to locate the Caribou if its a priority. there only in a few locations and youd be taking a chance on being dropped where there not.unless your looking for an expensive camping trip with lotsa bugs and bears.just my thoughts.best of luck!