Kodiak Goat Outlook

buzzy

WKR
Heading up in 3 weeks for my first goat hunt. Any early reports on how the season is looking. Feel free to pass along any advice or recommendations. Thanks

Which tag did you draw? Kodiak goat hunting is amazing. I go at the beginning of Oct and the weather is hit or miss. Speaking from experience, it can pin you down on the side of a mountain and almost kill you so be prepared for that. Also have a good amount of "alternate" hunting spots picked out in case the pilot can't get to your preferred spot.
James

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OP
B

buzzy

WKR
I drew the road system tag out of Kodiak. So no flying from Kodiak to the final hunting location. I'll be with a guide so I'm sure he will have some places picked out. Thanks and good luck in October. I head up on the 21st and start the hunt on the 23rd.

todd h

FNG
north or south road system?
Was on south end of island for opener harvested 2 goats , lots of goats around, weather very hot and never needed rain gear in 9 days. uncommon for kodiak

OXN939

WKR
Saw a bunch up there over the past few weeks. Your hunting outlook is pretty good, espcially with things getting back to seasonal temperatures.

OP
B

buzzy

WKR
Thanks guys. I drew the south road system and am hunting with Rick Hoskins of Hunt Alaska Outfitters.

Hopefully with more normal temps coming the goats hair will start to thicken up.

Just got back from a fly in hunt on Kodiak. Plenty of goats on the mountain and saw a few bands on others during the flight back.

The weather was fantastic! It only got up to 15mph and partly cloudy skies for the worst. However it started to change the day we flew back in with rain and fog in the town of Kodiak.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I hunted Kodiak last year in Ugak Bay. Be prepared for rain! I was rained on everyday, except when it was sleet!

Flojoe

FNG
Saw you should be in the field by now, gives us an update when you get back and let us know how you’re hunt went!

OP
B

buzzy

WKR
Well, it was a heck of a hunt both physically and mentally. The first day we didn't make it out of the hotel room because some weather moved in. Day 2 was nice and up we went. Hike in was about 3.5 hours and challenging but I had worked out and managed it well. The guides and packers carried most of the heavy load though.

We set up camp and I headed in one direction and the other hunter headed out in opposite direction. We saw a lot of goats and long story short a nice billy moved into shooting range only for me to miss it at 300 yards along with 2 follow up shots. My best guess is I pulled my first shot as the rest I had wasn't the best. The hike back to camp was frustrating as I replayed over and over what occurred. Found out the other hunter had shot about an 8.5" billy so he was heading down the next AM.

Day 3 we went probably 9 miles on the same ridge line. Saw a lot of goats but no shooters. Made it to where we wanted to be and saw 3 lone goats high on the mountain. Figured they were billys and we waited them out. Another group of 12 or so joined them but all nannies and kids. Got late in the day and had to make the 3.5 hr hike back. We did find another group that had a billy on the way back but we had no way to get closer. So we took a frontal attack and that sure didn't work.

Day 4 we went the opposite way and found goats pretty quickly. There was a big nanny with no kids and she looked really nice to me. It took 4 hours for us to go from 600 yards to 280 as we had goats on both sides of the mountain blocking our stalk. The guide and packer found a tiny route among the rocks that we crawled on and were finally able to close the distance to 280 yards.

This time my first shot range true but a little far back. She ran a hundred yards or so up the mountain and laid down on a small bench. We didn't want to shoot again as we were afraid she would jump up and tumble down. She expired where she had laid down and didn't roll. We didn't get a tape on her but she is better than 10" with the rudimentary ruler we had.

The hunt was awesome from start to finish. The weather gods were in our favor and we had great weather for the 4 days on the mountain. Winds were strong at times but the hike back to camp with the goat there was no wind.

I couldn't have asked for a better guide or packer. It was more like 2 guides as they didn't know each other but worked together as a great team to help me get my goat. We came down the mountain in overcast skies with a storm moving in the next 2 days. Got out of Kodiak a few days early with a memory of a lifetime.

Attachments

• IMG_0389.JPG
    IMG_0389.JPG
    231.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0401.JPG
    IMG_0401.JPG
    331.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1545.JPG
    IMG_1545.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_5682.JPG
    IMG_5682.JPG
    238.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0354.JPG
    IMG_0354.JPG
    559.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1534.JPG
    IMG_1534.JPG
    280.8 KB · Views: 78

Flojoe

FNG
Congrats!! I’m hoping to mimic some of your luck as I’ll be hunting this tag this week! 🤞

OP
B

buzzy

WKR
Flojoe - Good luck and let us know how you do. Shoot straight and stay safe.