Kodiak goats on a budget... ?

coues craze

Lil-Rokslider
As a NR obviously I will have to go guided. I’ve used the search function on this and several sites along with good ole google plus spoken to booking agents. I have been applying for the draw permits on Kodiak for a few years but have yet to draw; which brings me to my question. Many of the outfitters in the draw areas can be found for $6500-$8500 for a goat hunt while the non draw outfitters are $10,500+. I just want to hunt goats and am not concerned with finding one that makes book. Does anyone know of a reputable outfitter that offers hunts in the non draw areas that are in that $6500-$8500 range instead of 10k+. I’d consider other areas as well. PMs are fine if you don’t want to put it out on the WWW. Thanks.

Interested in any responses or successful research that you are willing to share. I'm just starting to search for the same thing.

Unfortunately the cost of transport to non-draw area (RG480) is probably the contributing factor into the increased cost to hunt goats as a guided non-resident in that area.

OP
C

coues craze

Lil-Rokslider
Interested in any responses or successful research that you are willing to share. I'm just starting to search for the same thing.
I never received any recommendations, but I think for the registration areas it’s looking like around 11k. The draw areas can be done cheaper.

AKducks

FNG
Your odds of drawing a goat tag in one of the draw areas (non road system) are around 40%-50% (6 applications at 8-9% chance per tag). I would say put in to draw and figure 1-3 years until you draw a tag. If you want to hunt this year or next then you will probably have to spend the extra cash.

PSH

FNG
I highly recommend https://www.fletcherskodiakbearhunts.com/ They don't list mountain goats on their website, but do offer it. Myself and a co-worker went last year, and hunting goats and blacktails in your price range. We were both successful. That was the second time I hunted with Jake Fletcher (1st was brown bear), and would not hesitate in recommending his operation.

OP
C

coues craze

Lil-Rokslider
I highly recommend https://www.fletcherskodiakbearhunts.com/ They don't list mountain goats on their website, but do offer it. Myself and a co-worker went last year, and hunting goats and blacktails in your price range. We were both successful. That was the second time I hunted with Jake Fletcher (1st was brown bear), and would not hesitate in recommending his operation.
Thanks PSH. I’ll check them out for sure. PM some details of your hunt and a picture of your goats! Or you can share on here if you want.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Oh I kick myself all the time. The first time I hunted Kodiak, all the guided hunts were between $2500-3000. Sure wish I would have booked one then. Check Ugak Bay Lodge. Brian is one of the best and most reasonable outfitters on the island.

nanuke22

FNG
I have a contract with Brian keeping my fingers crossed, first year applying.

nanuke22

FNG
SteveO did you goat hunt with him? Like to hear about your hunt, if you want to PM that’s cool.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I did not goat hunt with him, I did a 3x1 deer hunt with him close to 20 years ago. I would not hesitate to goat (or bear) hunt with him; he has the goats dialed in for sure.

PSH

FNG
Thanks PSH. I’ll check them out for sure. PM some details of your hunt and a picture of your goats! Or you can share on here if you want.
Link to original post below