Kodiak Island August or November?

HoneyDew

WKR
That was just one big fence with three strands of tape/wire if I remember correctly. It was my buddies fence and it was a POS IMO. You could stand there and hold it all day long and you would probably only have to let go when you fell asleep. :) The fences I have are for backpacking, so they're not nearly as big, but they pack one hell of a punch, and even with rubber boots on, you still don't want to touch it. If you do accidently touch it, you will make every effort not to touch it again.
What fences are you using that pack such a punch and do you still stand by your selection?

Jon Boy

WKR
Sounds like an awesome trip! I'd like to do a late October trip but August sure was fun for us several years ago
6db95b07967a84d2c8e646a0a7ce80b0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

What fences are you using that pack such a punch and do you still stand by your selection?

Yeah, these are the best backpacking electric fences/energizers I have found.
2e159e7e16373fabc715274b0ff0c132.jpg

7df09fbbad4c3fe7f71672748f10d7f1.jpg

The outfits there selling now look a little different than the ones I have, but I think they’re basically the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HoneyDew

WKR
Yeah, these are the best backpacking electric fences/energizers I have found.
2e159e7e16373fabc715274b0ff0c132.jpg

7df09fbbad4c3fe7f71672748f10d7f1.jpg

The outfits are selling look a little different than the ones I have, but I think they’re basically the same thing.

Says one set of batteries lasts about two days. Do you just bring enough and swap them out? Or are you only using the fence energized part of the day? Or have you tried the solar option?

Says one set of batteries lasts about two days. Do you just bring enough and swap them out? Or are you only using the fence energized part of the day? Or have you tried the solar option?

I always bring about six or eight AA batteries and leave most of them at base camp. I think I can get about 72 hours, or three days out of a pair of batteries, of continuous use. That said, I try and keep it off as much as possible. When I’m spiking out, I only have it on during the night when I’m sleeping, which is only about seven or eight hours a day. The rest the time I’m usually moving around and camp is on my back.

we did mid Nov and used a boat as a transport service and hunted on our own. Hit it just right 3 tags filled by bow and two by rifle. We were a touch late for good fishing but still caught a few.

bbrown

WKR
Anyone know how the deer faired this winter? Couple buddies and I are heading up in late July for the opening week.

JoeB

Lil-Rokslider
how was the winter on Kodiak? any worries about winter kill?

evergreenethos

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy and I just booked a Kodiak trip for mid-November 2023. We’ll be basing out of DWL in Larsen Bay. I was already excited, but this thread has me especially fired up!

JoeB

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy and I just booked a Kodiak trip for mid-November 2023. We’ll be basing out of DWL in Larsen Bay. I was already excited, but this thread has me especially fired up!
We will be in Larson bay last of November 2023. Hope it’s a good hunt. Sounds like it so far

bowuntr

WKR
I've been in August, September and November... September is my favorite time when I don't have an elk tag. I'll be there on July 30th... looking forward to the adventure. Ed F

Rwolf

FNG
What temps and weather can be expected in early November on the island? Trying to figure out what clothes to bring.

bowuntr

WKR
Boy things have changed in the last 2 years. Over $2k or 100k miles for a commercial flight. I used to fly for $500 or 50k miles. 1k increase on the Bush flight. Kodiak Kamps changed owners and no longer rents camping gear. Terrible times ... for everyone. F it... hunt like you are going to die tomorrow. Ed F

Boy things have changed in the last 2 years. Over $2k or 100k miles for a commercial flight. I used to fly for $500 or 50k miles. 1k increase on the Bush flight. Kodiak Kamps changed owners and no longer rents camping gear. Terrible times ... for everyone. F it... hunt like you are going to die tomorrow. Ed F

The price of fuel goes up and everything goes up. What was the price of fuel two years ago compared to the record breaking price that it is now? Unfortunately, I think it’s only going to get worse.