kodiak island blacktails

todd h

FNG
headed to kodiak island in the middle of august for blacktail . wandering if any body has experience at this time of year? bugs in the alpine? deer active during the day or just early and late? or any other tips anyone has?
thanks Todd

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
In August they will be up high, as already mentioned...and there will be bugs. Don't know if you're going in/taking out on an alpine lake or sea level. Climbing on "the rock" can be pretty steep and interesting at times (especially salt to alpine)...dense alder thickets, thorned salmonberry vines, very slippery footing at times (especially when rain soaked), clouds that can move-in quickly and reduce visibility down to nothing up high...coastal mountain hunting in Alaska. That said, Kodiak is a very special place, and you are going to have an adventure for sure. I'll be back in November. Have a great trip sir!

Last edited:

bowuntr

WKR
When the weather is good the deer will be out, at any time of day. Like Nick said, they'll stick out like a sore thumb. I'm right behind you the first week of September. Ed F

Good luck. I'm planning on going in 2020 so I'll look forward to your hunting report. For those that have been there, what's your favorite time of year to hunt them and why?