Kodiak Island Goat Logistics

buzzy

WKR
I'm heading up for a goat hunt in the fall. If I'm successful and kill a goat what's the best way to get the meat home? Is there a local processor that can cut, freeze and box up the meat on short notice so I can bring it as luggage on my return flight? If you don't bring all the meat home is there a local charity to donate some of the meat to??

I hope to freeze the cape and bring that and the horns back as luggage. Just not sure how to manage the meat. First time on Kodiak and was hoping to get some intel on how to get the animal home. Again if I'm lucky enough to get one! Thanks

EastMT

WKR
Take a couple fish boxes, hold about 50lbs of meat each. Tape them up good, comes back as 2 checked bags. They are available in every grocery and sporting goods store up here(usually unless the ship is late)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can pick up a couple wax boxes at Walmart in Kodiak and do one of two things, either use the freezer of whoever is flying you out, or use ACE Air Cargo’s freezer, right down the road from the airport, or option two, bring it back to Anchorage and take it to C&J Meats on International Airport Rd., about a mile or so down the road from the airport, and have them make all your cuts, burger, Italian Sausage, or breakfast sausage, then vacuum seal it, freeze it and pack it into boxes to take home. Assuming you don’t live more that a 15 hours or so, travel time from Anchorage, you should be able to get everything home and it still be frozen solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When will you be doing your hunt? I have a goat hunt on Kodiak in Oct (5th). If you decide you do not want to bring your goat meat home, I will gladly take toff your hands.

Where is “home”? If you are a resident of AK it seems like you would have this figured out pretty easily.... (your air taxi or transporter is the easiest to ask for meat donations, there is always someone on Kodiak who wants free meat)

If you are not a Resident then you must be going Guided (or family), and your Guide (or family) will have all that taken are of.

Last edited: