Kodiak Island Non-Res Archery Hunts

As far as cost from start to finish for three people. You have your airfare from your point of origin up to Anchorage, round-trip airfare from Anchorage to Kodiak will be anywhere from $230 up to $380. Since there are several ways that you can hunt Kodiak, the pricing varies greatly. I have only done fly outs on Kodiak, and if you're looking to go this route you will probably need a beaver load for three people and all your gear. You could get by with a 206 load, but you will need to scale down your gear for that size of a plane. There isn't a huge difference in price between the two planes, and since you will be dividing it up between three people, I would recommend a beaver and taking enough gear for a comfortable camp. A beaver load to some of the farther places from the town of Kodiak will cost you approximately $1600. That will get you in and out of your hunting destination.

Maxhunter

WKR
A buddy and me did it this last fall. It cost us about $3000 each that's food, airfare, satellite phone, electric fence, and transporter. Go with Rolan from Seahawk Air he's reasonable and has some great drop-off spots. To save some money ship all your food, and extra gear via US mail. On the way back due the same. Also be prepared for delays in or out. We took are own tents, but Kodiak Kamps can outfit you for pretty reasonable price and they'll throw in cans of pepper spray for use since you can't mail or fly with it.

http://www.seahawkair.com/

http://www.kodiakkamps.com/

bhtkevin

FNG
I would also like to say I've heard the numbers are waaaaaaaaaaaaay down this year. I was looking to do the same hunt but will postpone until later.

Several reasons with the main reason being the winter kill on Kodiak. Another plus is the road system to allow us more reign in terms of area to hunt. Final reason is we are staying with the master of all things Sitka Blacktail! I can't wait.

Ed, not sure what the dope is you are referring too, but I am curious! LOL You can have it when you come to Idaho this fall.

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
Several reasons with the main reason being the winter kill on Kodiak. Another plus is the road system to allow us more reign in terms of area to hunt. Final reason is we are staying with the master of all things Sitka Blacktail! I can't wait.

Ed, not sure what the dope is you are referring too, but I am curious! LOL You can have it when you come to Idaho this fall.

Who is the "master of all things Sitka Blacktail"? Jonny Ropes or maybe Jim bachtail??? Someone else? Curios!

bowuntr

WKR
Bowhunter Bob Ameen... 50+ P&Y Sitka Blacktails... I'd also add Chuck Adams to that list with a couple P&Y world record Sitka Blacktails... he's there right now... Ed F

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, I could agree with Bob. Didn't realize you were talking archery and Pope and Young.

paddlehead

Lil-Rokslider
bowuntr,

I thought that it was reindeer that were on the island? I wasn't aware that there was caribou too? My brother and I have been talking a lot about putting one of these hunts together. Sorry if it has already been asked, but what did the trip cost you total? We are either going to do a hunt like yours or do a hunt out of a camp with daily drop off and pick up.

This is one of my dream hunts!!

Feel free to P.M. me if you want.

Thanks in advance!!

bowuntr,

I thought that it was reindeer that were on the island? I wasn't aware that there was caribou too? My brother and I have been talking a lot about putting one of these hunts together. Sorry if it has already been asked, but what did the trip cost you total? We are either going to do a hunt like yours or do a hunt out of a camp with daily drop off and pick up.

This is one of my dream hunts!!

Feel free to P.M. me if you want.

Thanks in advance!!
Same animal ( reindeer or caribou). I think the only difference is reindeer were transplanted from domestic stock, and caribou aren't. Cheapest tickets between Anchorage and Kodiak right now are $390. A Beaver load to the southern part of the island, where the reindeer are, will run you in the neighborhood of $2300 round trip.

paddlehead

Lil-Rokslider
In light of all the discussion about winter kill, which region of the island was hit the hardest? I was looking at hunting the North or Northwest side of the island. My brother has a friend that hunted bear there this last year and said that there were deer carcasses everywhere they went , and that the spring was so late due to the deep snow that after 20 days of hunting they didn't see a single bear.

I sure hope the deer rebound like whitetails do!!