Kodiak Island outfitter help

money

FNG
My brother, dad and I are hoping to do a self guided Sitka Blacktail hunt on Kodiak in 2021. I found Raspberry Island Lodge that looks like a decent outfit but they won't provide a reference list. I found that kind of weird/alarming.

Has anyone on here hunted with Raspberry Island Lodge and if so would you recommend us go with them? We are also looking into hunting them from a boat/yacht but this post is more specifically about Raspberry Island lodge.

Thank you in advance for reading and for any answers that might be provided.

Dhosera

FNG
If you research some posts on AOD Forums you'll see some nice reports there from some folks that have stayed with them. I'd say they are a very capable outfit, and I've never heard any negative feedback on them. They have a FB page you should look into.
There are a bunch of Boat based outfits that run large sleep aboard boats. We did this back in 2017 and it was a freaking blast. Caught Halibut & Crabs, shot (13) Deer and (3) Silver tip fox, shot Piles of ducks everything from Scoters and oldsquaw to Harlies and Barrows.
Good Luck!

My brother, dad and I are hoping to do a self guided Sitka Blacktail hunt on Kodiak in 2021. I found Raspberry Island Lodge that looks like a decent outfit but they won't provide a reference list. I found that kind of weird/alarming.

Has anyone on here hunted with Raspberry Island Lodge and if so would you recommend us go with them? We are also looking into hunting them from a boat/yacht but this post is more specifically about Raspberry Island lodge.

Thank you in advance for reading and for any answers that might be provided.

If it is owned and operated by the Robinson’s they are too notch.

Keep your head on a swivel!

It's a great hunt for sure. Last year my dad and I hunted with Jake Jefferson of Alaska black River hunting camps. Jake was a fantastic guide and a great guy to work with overall. I would love to hunt Kodiak with him again. My dad and I each killed 2 nice bucks apiece. Unfortunately Jake is no longer guiding on Kodiak due to some unforeseen family circumstances. With that he did talk highly of Jeff Peterson of Kodiak combos. If I go again he will more than likely be who I hunt with.
4e35f66c36ffac5a06ff2eb4cf6e9e8c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

OP
M

money

FNG
Thank you for the responses.

Nick, that is an awesome kill photo. Hoping to get a few myself like that. Kodiak Combos is someone we will also consider. Looks like 2021 will be our year for sure though.

Deertick

FNG
Hunted Raspberry Lodge in 2018. Great operation, though that year the hunting was tough. Managed to fill tags in short time and got out before a big storm. But good place , great food, dry cabins.

OP
M

money

FNG
Deertick,

Thank you for the info. We are going to go ahead and book with them. I think it will be a good trip.

I am hunting with raspberry island this year. I will give a full review after I come back. I have talked with birch and Tiffany numerous times via phone and email and they provided me with some references. I also looked on alaska outdoor forums and found many reviews. All positive reviews. I talked to about 7 or 8 different outfits before I decided on Raspberry. In the end, they offered what as I was looking for at a fair price. Honestly, there were 3 or 4 outfits that seemed really great and I dont think I could have gone wrong with any of them. I will warn you read the fine print and get ALL costs up front. There were a couple outfits that seemed great, then when I read the details, there were other fees that weren't included in the "hunt package" that really jacked the prices up.

OP
M

money

FNG
TimeKiller13

I look forward to your review upon your return. Between you and another guy I found going this year (he is going back for his 4th consecutive year) I should have a pretty good idea of what to expect. Good luck on your hunt and I look forward to the pictures. What are the dates of your trip this year?

TimeKiller13

I look forward to your review upon your return. Between you and another guy I found going this year (he is going back for his 4th consecutive year) I should have a pretty good idea of what to expect. Good luck on your hunt and I look forward to the pictures. What are the dates of your trip this year?
We are going october 24-30th.

Our trip to Kodiak last year was the same time frame. The rut was just starting off. Alot of the deer wete up high yet (especially the bigger bucks). Glass the tops and watch the skyline. Be prepared to climb. We did however see a few deer down lower but nothing really close to the beach

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

OP
M

money

FNG
I think we will go sometime during the first 12-15 days of November.

Robber

FNG
Has anyone hunted Sitka blacktail at the end of November/beginning of December when the bucks start heading to the beaches?

Has anyone hunted Sitka blacktail at the end of November/beginning of December when the bucks start heading to the beaches?

I’ve hunted them as early as the beginning of Sept. and as late as the second week of Dec., and pretty much everywhere in between, and have killed them on the beach in Sept., as well. The biggest problem with hunting them later in the year, as I see it, is the short days. Also, from my experience, they tend to go nocturnal later in the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robber

FNG
I’ve hunted them as early as the beginning of Sept. and as late as the second week of Dec., and pretty much everywhere in between, and have killed them on the beach in Sept., as well. The biggest problem with hunting them later in the year, as I see it, is the short days. Also, from my experience, they tend to go nocturnal later in the season.

Thanks! Do they usually still have velvet on at the beginning of September? I thought it would be sweet to get one in velvet but everyone says hunt them during the rut usually.

No, not usually. At least I’ve never found them still wearing velvet in September, unless it’s a cactus buck. This was taken on September 5, the earliest that I’ve hunted down there (this is my son’s first buck).
b4b18f4a17e2179e9d62aa731660846e.jpg

Robber

FNG
No, not usually. At least I’ve never found them still wearing velvet in September, unless it’s a cactus buck. This was taken on September 5, the earliest that I’ve hunted down there (this is my son’s first buck).
b4b18f4a17e2179e9d62aa731660846e.jpg

If you don’t mind me asking what transport service did you use? I looked at a lot so far but haven’t decided yet. I won’t be going till 2021 so I still have some time.

If you don’t mind me asking what transport service did you use? I looked at a lot so far but haven’t decided yet. I won’t be going till 2021 so I still have some time.

Oh yeah, you got plenty of time. You don’t need to worry about booking a transporter down there until the summer before your hunt. I’ve used several transporters over the years, but my go to for the last 7 years or so, has been Island Air.

Robber

FNG
Oh yeah, you got plenty of time. You don’t need to worry about booking a transporter down there until the summer before your hunt. I’ve used several transporters over the years, but my go to for the last 7 years or so, has been Island Air.

Oh, I didn’t think I could wait that long to book but that’s nice. I looked at Andrew, Seahawk, kodiak combo and a couple boat transporters so far. Have you ever did the boat hunts? If so which hunts did you enjoy more, flying in or boat?