Kodiak Island

Panfish1

FNG
Hi,

I am looking to take my wife on her first Blacktail hunt on Kodiak Island. We are looking to hunt out of a lodge vs. a boat. Has anyone had experience with Larsen Bay Lodge? Would you willing to share your experience with me or if you have another recommendation?

Good Hunting!
Dave

Never been to the lodge, but hunted near there one fall. Saw lot's of deer and bears. I think you'll find bucks anywhere if you are willing to hike a bit, especially if you end up there in Late Oct/Early Nov. I typically stay away from lodges and cabins only because the areas around them see a bit more pressure than places to tent camp. I think I'd do Kodiak Combos instead, stay in a lodge at night and get dropped off by a boat each day. Good luck!

Beendare

WKR
Good advice Nick^

I did a deal with Larsen bay lodge a few years ago- a guy- Jim I think- and his wife, right? I can't remember their name.

They do a deal where they will take you out in a boat drop you off...then pick you up later in the day. A couple rifle guys did that [we were bowhunting] We didn't do that instead flew out to a remote spot and camped for 4 days. A couple rifle guys that were there at the lodge did the boat out thing and they were successful.

They will also take you fishing in the bay...or you have World class steelhead fishing that you can quad out to.

Timing is critical. We went in mid October. trying to squeeze in a hunt between other hunts .....not the best timing. You want to hit it either early or late IMO. Late October[I have a buddy leaving today] through Nov is good as they are starting to rut....so you can call and decoy them in.

OP
Panfish1

Panfish1

FNG
Hi Nick and Beendare,

Nice to meet you! Thank you for the advice I truly appreciate it!
We are looking to go in late August and hopefully do some fishing as well.
Both of us like to hike so that that is not a problem. Any idea how the bugs are at that time of year on the island?
Also, are the bow shots long, or are you about to stalk within 50yrds?

Good Hunting!
Dave

Josey D

FNG
Dave,
I don't know anything about Larsen bay lodge, but here is what I would want to know. What kind of hunting are you looking to do? By that I mean a lot of the later season people hunt the beaches & lower half of the mtns. In August they will be high, so you should plan on hiking a good ways up everyday & the first part from the salt is always hard because you usually have alders to deal with. My wife & I have gone in early Aug. & had a great time but we were dropped in an alpine lake & above the alders so the hiking was much easier.
If you go with LBL I would see if they have any quad trails they use from the lodge to get you up the first few hundred feet in case some days you don't feel like working so hard. If you are in good shape & both enjoy the getting after it then no worries. There are a couple other lodges I have heard good things about so it may be worth checking out.

keepriding

Lil-Rokslider
My one time doing this was my first deer with a bow. I had drawn a tag for a piece of property surrounding a lake managed by the Army Corp of Engineers. We spotted my buck at noon from the boat and 4 hours later I had stalked into range, and eventually killed him with a 25 yard bow shot.

It was a 16 ft aluminum boat with an outboard.

OXN939

WKR
Hi Nick and Beendare,

Nice to meet you! Thank you for the advice I truly appreciate it!
We are looking to go in late August and hopefully do some fishing as well.
Both of us like to hike so that that is not a problem. Any idea how the bugs are at that time of year on the island?
Also, are the bow shots long, or are you about to stalk within 50yrds?

Good Hunting!
Dave

Our camp at 2500' this past August. Bugs were much less intense than I anticipated, although you still will want head nets and repellant. We did the same kind of "cast and blast" idea, and were successful with both- late August a great time to be there.

IMG_5454.JPG

OXN939

WKR
That camp location looks awesome!

Yeah buddy! It was a great time. Roland is the absolute man, everything about our trip was awesome. Didn't kill any Booners, but one tasty representative buck apiece checked all the boxes we needed.

GrabRack

FNG
If a lodge in Larsen Bay is your preference and fishing on river or salt desired, check out Kodiak Legends Lodge. Direct to hunting location is an option too thru Island Air, call and ask for advice. Have hunted three times now and is my happy place camped out on the island fishing salmon and hunting blacktails. Fiance and another couple camped this past September in teepees for a week early September and weather cooperated well. Late August should be better. Be prepared for some rain and at least a couple hard blows of 35mph or better. The weather in between is what makes it all worth it.